GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] did a demo Tues. night (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/19644-%5Bibc%5D-did-demo-tues-night.html)

Craig Cowing 01-05-2003 11:56 AM

[IBC] did a demo Tues. night

I did a demo and talk on Tuesday night at our local library as a part of
their adult evening program. There were about 20 people there. Several
had some bonsai already, or had had a mallsai at one time or another.
One man in particular has some Japanese Maples and junipers, but hasn't
gone to the next level of buying material from a bonsai nursery.
Hopefully I can help him get past that. There were some interested in a
study group, so we'll be having one soon, probably on a monthly basis.

It was a very interested group, with a lot of good questions and
comments. I elicited a collective gasp when cutting off a major branch
in the process of styling a cascade procumbens juniper.

So, the result was what I was hoping for, building some interest in
bonsai in our area. There are a couple of other people in the area
already interested, so we should have a good start. One of the people
who came was a teenager, about 13 or so, with his mother. He's raring
to go.

All in all, a very worthwhile effort. I'll post our progress as time
goes on.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a