Old 26-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Registered User

Default How easy are bonsai to keep?

Hi all.

I love the look of bonsai trees and have always fancied getting some, but don't know how easy they are to look after. How much extra maintenance do they need than your average house plant? Do they last a long time if well looked after?

Thanks
Old 27-10-2011, 06:59 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Glad you asked before buying one. Yes, they require considerably more maintenance than a house plant, some more than others. In fact, a bonsai is not really a house plant. It is a living work of art. However, if properly cared for, some species will last hundreds of years.
Where do you live? Google on Bonsai Clubs International or American Bonsai Society. They have lists of clubs. Find your nearest bonsai club. They will help you find the easiest bonsai to care for in your location, & will teach you what to do with it.
If you have any specific questions, write again.
Iris
Old 20-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsaisr View Post
Glad you asked before buying one. Yes, they require considerably more maintenance than a house plant, some more than others. In fact, a bonsai is not really a house plant. It is a living work of art. However, if properly cared for, some species will last hundreds of years.
Where do you live? Google on Bonsai Clubs International or American Bonsai Society. They have lists of clubs. Find your nearest bonsai club. They will help you find the easiest bonsai to care for in your location, & will teach you what to do with it.
If you have any specific questions, write again.
Iris
Hello! I am really into spiritual gathering with nature and when I discovered bonsai that was like a whole new world to me. I was so passionate about this idea that I was spending so many time with my first tree and it grew very beautiful. I think that as bonsaisr bonsai is a live work of art.
Old 15-01-2012, 03:59 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Hi, Vaughan.
I'm glad you are enjoying bonsai. What kind of tree do you have? I assume you will eventually have more than one. To improve your knowledge and appreciation, join the Internet Bonsai Club, ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/
Iris
Old 16-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
Hi all.

I love the look of bonsai trees and have always fancied getting some, but don't know how easy they are to look after. How much extra maintenance do they need than your average house plant? Do they last a long time if well looked after?

Thanks
1) deciduous trees - varieties include Japanese red maple, chinese elm, cherry bonsai tree, cork bark elm, red wood, purple beach tree, mini rose, Japanese larch bonsai tree and more...

2) evergreen bonsai trees (stays green but needs dormant period in winter)- varieties include blue moss cypress, white cedar bonsai tree, blue spruce, Japanese black pine, red heather, boxwood all trees are ideal for a patio.

3) Flowering bonsai varieties can be found another your friends garden. Generally these trees require more light in order to generate flowers and or fruit.

You will probably find like all beginners, pruning is the hardest part of taking care of your tree, don't get carried away with trimming and pruning. They are miniature trees but in a bonsai style. When you are shaping a tree ask yourself does this specimen look like a full grown tree only in miniature.
__________________
Fruit Trees

Old 04-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
Hi all.

I love the look of bonsai trees and have always fancied getting some, but don't know how easy they are to look after. How much extra maintenance do they need than your average house plant? Do they last a long time if well looked after?

Thanks

Bonsai is an extremely difficult hobby. I have been meticulous in my approach with regard to watering and pruning etc yet despite 9 years of this my tree is still only 6 inches high. I will persevere with it but I think I maybe doing something wrong. Any ideas ?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arry the plant View Post
Bonsai is an extremely difficult hobby. I have been meticulous in my approach with regard to watering and pruning etc yet despite 9 years of this my tree is still only 6 inches high. I will persevere with it but I think I maybe doing something wrong. Any ideas ?
I think you may have been over zealous with the watering and pruning Arry. My Oak Bonsai has received little care or attention and is currently 17 foot high...I now have to move house to accommodate it...

WD
Old 04-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine Delilah View Post
I think you may have been over zealous with the watering and pruning Arry. My Oak Bonsai has received little care or attention and is currently 17 foot high...I now have to move house to accommodate it...

WD
Wow, thats fantastic, and certainly one of the biggest bonsais ive ever heard of. You seem to be having more success than me. I`ll cut back on the watering and see how it goes.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
Hi all.

I love the look of bonsai trees and have always fancied getting some, but don't know how easy they are to look after. How much extra maintenance do they need than your average house plant? Do they last a long time if well looked after?

Thanks
Caring for a Bonsai tree is not as hard as is commonly thought. However, as Bonsai trees are planted in small pots a few basic guidelines have to be followed when watering, fertilizing and repotting your trees. Though Bonsai trees are a little more delicate compared to the average indoor plant, a few basic rules should enable anyone to take care of its tree properly. Most importantly are watering, fertilization and choosing the right position to place it.

Do not just water your tree everyday, instead, monitor it carefully and water it once the soil gets slightly (but never completely) dry; it should be damp. When watering, do it thoroughly though. As Bonsai trees are generally placed in small pots regular fertilization is required in order to replenish nutrient solutions that are essential to the tree. Using a special ‘Bonsai fertilizer’ can be convenient, but any fertilizer will do.

Deciding on the right place to put your tree is crucial for its well-being. First make sure that indoor trees are placed in a warm environment; outdoor trees (although depending on species of trees) generally require much lower temperatures and should be placed outside. Next, most species of trees prefer a bright spot, normally with at least some direct sunlight.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 06-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arry the plant View Post
Bonsai is an extremely difficult hobby. I have been meticulous in my approach with regard to watering and pruning etc yet despite 9 years of this my tree is still only 6 inches high. I will persevere with it but I think I maybe doing something wrong. Any ideas ?
It sounds like you've started from a tiny sapling or seed. You could get a larger plant and turn it into a bonsai

Old 15-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
Hi all.

I love the look of bonsai trees and have always fancied getting some, but don't know how easy they are to look after. How much extra maintenance do they need than your average house plant? Do they last a long time if well looked after?

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice here, I'm going to get one also but was worried about caring for it (as they can be pretty expensive to buy)
Old 21-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered User

Location: West London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
Hi all.

I love the look of bonsai trees and have always fancied getting some, but don't know how easy they are to look after. How much extra maintenance do they need than your average house plant? Do they last a long time if well looked after?

Thanks
I have just joined this forum and am very passionate about Bonsai trees.
If you do not have a bonsai tree, you first need to decide either on and indoor or outdoor bonsai. Then its a question of choosing one which would be ideal for new comers/beginners in Bonsai. As you have mentioned house plants, I am assuming that you are looking to acquire an indoor tree. I would suggest a ficus for your first indoor bonsai tree. You need to make sure that you find a good location where it gets plenty of light and air. You will need to water it, just like a house plant and in summer feed it with fertilizer such as grow-more. In the summer months you will need to prune the new growth other wise it will end up like a bush. Pruning the new growth is fairly simple task. Every two to three years it will need to be re-potted and the roots pruned by about a third. For the first re-pot, I would suggest that you take it to a local bonsai Nursery and they will do it for you for a small charge and you can see how its done and it you wish to do this your self in the future, then you will need to invest in a few beginners Bonsai tools.

I am a bonsai collector and grower and recently turned Bonsai Centre Retailer.
I am in the West London area and will be happy to help if you are within easy travelling distance. My site is: mikbonsai trees South West London | Unique bonsai trees for unique customers

I hope this information is helpfull.
Old 22-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Best bonsai trees for beginners are Juniper Bonsai, they are just as easy to grow and plant care for beginner or a novice just starting out with this new hobby and looking for a starter tree to grow indoors. If you are thinking that you want a tree instead of a house plant, then you can consider Chinese elm bonsai, hawaiian umbrella tree and ficus tree. These indoor bonsai trees do not really require natural light from a window and will do very well on a desktop, shelf or table.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 09-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Registered User

I have been interested in this too but have always thought it would be too difficult to manage one... :O
Old 17-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanW View Post
I have been interested in this too but have always thought it would be too difficult to manage one... :O
You dont have to be an expert to grow Junipers, as it is the one of the most popular forms of bonsai. You can grow this both indoors and outdoors, keep in a cooler environment during the winter months. Water everyday but don't let it dry or too wet. Give them a filtered or shaded sunlight. Fertilize them once every two weeks. Repot junipers every two years. It is very easy to care for.
Fruit Trees