GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Copper wire (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/20330-%5Bibc%5D-copper-wire.html)

Mike Ryan 04-05-2003 12:20 AM

[IBC] Copper wire

I have read some where not to use copper wire on a cherry tree. Has any one
else heard of this? If so what is the reson for not using copper? I have just
aquired a flowering cherry and want to do some wiring on it but , the copper
wire thing is in the back of my mind.
Thanks
Mike Ryan
Richmond Va.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

David J. Bockman 04-05-2003 04:32 AM

[IBC] Copper wire

Mike,

You will find almost all Prunus very difficult to wire, as the bark has a
tendency to deglove away from the cambium on all but the most gentle of
bends, and on the finest of twigs. Copper wire is just too hard to work
with, IMHO, with this species.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

I have read some where not to use copper wire on a cherry tree.
Has any one
else heard of this? If so what is the reson for not using copper?
I have just
aquired a flowering cherry and want to do some wiring on it but ,
the copper
wire thing is in the back of my mind.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Mike Bennett 04-05-2003 08:56 AM

[IBC] Copper wire

I've never had any experience of it myself, as I've always used aluminium,
but I've heard that copper wire can be toxic to Prunus sp.

Regards

Mike Bennett. UK

I have read some where not to use copper wire on a cherry tree. Has any

one
else heard of this? If so what is the reson for not using copper? I have

just
aquired a flowering cherry and want to do some wiring on it but , the

copper
wire thing is in the back of my mind.
Thanks
Mike Ryan