Old 04-05-2003, 06:08 AM
audgen

Default [IBC] Colonial Blue Chastetree

Anybody have one of these? I bought one and it looks like it might be suitable for bonsai, but I haven't been able to find much info. on it's requirements and such.
Here's all the tag said..."Vibrant blue flowers offered on this Carolina Nurseries selection. Cut from a 24' tree growing around Colonial Lake in Charleston, S.C." it also says - Vitex Colonial Blue
Thanks for any help!
Audgen (zone 7)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
Nina Shishkoff

Anybody have one of these? I bought one and it looks like it might
be suitable for bonsai, but I haven't been able to find much info.
on it's requirements and such.
Here's all the tag said..."Vibrant blue flowers offered on this
Carolina Nurseries selection. Cut from a 24' tree growing around
Colonial Lake in Charleston, S.C." it also says - Vitex Colonial Blue
Thanks for any help!
Audgen (zone 7)

Vitex might be an OK bonsai. It's between a big herb and a small
shrub, with soft wood that won't take training very well. But it's a
pretty thing in the garden. It's in the same family as Caryopteris
and Callicarpa, both of which have more potential as bonsai, in my
opinion. However, I've only grown these guys for powdery mildew
research, not for bonsai!
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD