what to expect

Old 25-09-2012, 05:42 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Default what to expect

Hello,

I just inherited a 9-year-old bonsai maple tree. It's about 8 inches
high and has a trunk and branches and leaves and everything. What I
want to know is, what can I expect of an 8 inch tree that has spent
its' whole life on a shelf close to a window?

Like, will its' leaves turn red then drop off (and I should get a tiny
little rake and burn them in a tiny little burn barrel in the fall? ;-)
Then stay dormant until spring and watch the new leaves come out and be
all bushy green again?

This really is something I want to keep even maybe forever because it
was my Uncles' and he was kind of special and well you knowŠ

I guess I just want to know what to expect.

Thank you,
Mike S
Old 28-09-2012, 12:10 PM

Location: California

Originally Posted by Mike S[_2_] View Post
Hello,

I just inherited a 9-year-old bonsai maple tree. It's about 8 inches
high and has a trunk and branches and leaves and everything. What I
want to know is, what can I expect of an 8 inch tree that has spent
its' whole life on a shelf close to a window?

Like, will its' leaves turn red then drop off (and I should get a tiny
little rake and burn them in a tiny little burn barrel in the fall? ;-)
Then stay dormant until spring and watch the new leaves come out and be
all bushy green again?

This really is something I want to keep even maybe forever because it
was my Uncles' and he was kind of special and well you knowŠ

I guess I just want to know what to expect.

Thank you,
Mike S
The old bonsai can live for more than 100 years, depending on the plant species and the care you give the plant will live longer. The more you care the more it will live but too much care is harmful.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 02-10-2012, 08:41 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

In article , allen73
wrote:

;969522']Hello,

--
allen73

Thank you allen73,

And thank you for the smile. It's funny how many people I've talked to
have that same Goldilocks (and the three bears) advice. Not too much,
not two little, what you want is always the just right amount inbetween
those two. And you know what? That's exactly what I should have
expected. ;-)

Not to worry however, I picked up a couple of really good books on
Bonsai feeding and care. And if I blow it somehow, I'll just go find me
a little tiny chain saw and chop it up for lumber. :-)

Thanks again - Mike
Old 29-05-2013, 07:38 AM
thomaspoul's Avatar

Location: USA

Originally Posted by Mike S[_2_] View Post
Hello,

I just inherited a 9-year-old bonsai maple tree. It's about 8 inches
high and has a trunk and branches and leaves and everything. What I
want to know is, what can I expect of an 8 inch tree that has spent
its' whole life on a shelf close to a window?

Like, will its' leaves turn red then drop off (and I should get a tiny
little rake and burn them in a tiny little burn barrel in the fall? ;-)
Then stay dormant until spring and watch the new leaves come out and be
all bushy green again?

This really is something I want to keep even maybe forever because it
was my Uncles' and he was kind of special and well you knowŠ

I guess I just want to know what to expect.

Thank you,
Mike S

You need to have some more time to spend with your tree.