Old 05-05-2003, 12:44 PM
J. Gettinger

Default [IBC] Wisteria tree collect now?

Hi all,
To piggy back on BobO's question on wisteria, my neighbor has a wisteria tree, about 12 feet high. She has offered it to me. When I told her my thoughts to turn it into a Bonsai, she was a little less than overjoyed, but seeing she has not found anyone to
take it as a tree, she may allow me to take it. At present, it is just showing swelling in the buds, the trunk is approx 5 inches or more at the soil line.

The questions a Is it still OK to try and remove it now, I'm in Zone 5b?6a, southern NY state. The trunk goes up about 3 feet before it splits into branches, should I trunk chop below the 3 foot height or higher?

Thanks
Jay

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 05-05-2003, 01:20 PM
William Valavanis

Now is the best time to dig Wisteria from the ground (both wild and in
gardens) in temperate areas of North America. My Wisteria are JUST
beginning to show vegetative bud movement.

Based on the long and very successful experience of Marc Torppa, of the
Growing Grounds in North Carolina it is best to reduce the height AND
dig the Wisteria at the same time. I have many of his collected
Wisteria (actually his best specimens) and have even seen blossoms the
FIRST season after collecting, with no visible buds at all.

A few weeks ago I pruned, wired and shaped several of Marc's collected
Wisteria... big ones, and I'll post the photos on the IBC Gallery in a
few days.

So, go ahead and drastically prune the Wisteria and put them in a pot
immediately. They may even bloom or at least will reward you with a
jungle of new growth within the next few weeks.

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Tony Ashton

I had the opportunity to collect a wisteria in February of 02...2002 that
is. It was growing in clay that was baked as hard as stone. I ended up
chopping the trunk at 24 inches below the soil line - with zero in the way
of feeder roots. I Put the whole works in a 35 gallon nursery tub with
perlite - watered well all spring and summer and it filled the entire pot
with fine roots by this spring. So far, this year blooming like mad and
shooting greenery everywhere.

Go ahead and collect - treat it like you would a very large cutting and it
should reward you well.

Tony Ashton
Portland Oregon

****
****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Jim Lewis

How much root should I dig? Is it difficult to root a cutting?

As with all trees you dig from "nature" get as much as you can
lug away. Less is NEVER more in these cases.

Cuttings root quickly; getting the cutting to ever flower is not
quick.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 07-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Helena Handbasket

Hi all,
To piggy back on BobO's question on wisteria, my neighbor has a wisteria tree, about 12

feet high. She has offered it to me. When I told her my thoughts to turn it into a Bonsai,
she was a little less than overjoyed, but seeing she has not found anyone to take it as a
tree, she may allow me to take it. At present, it is just showing swelling in the buds,
the trunk is approx 5 inches or more at the soil line.

The questions a Is it still OK to try and remove it now, I'm in Zone 5b?6a, southern

NY state. The trunk goes up about 3 feet before it splits into branches, should I trunk
chop below the 3 foot height or higher?

Thanks
Jay

I've also been offered a beautiful wisteria that is about 5' tall and 6" diameter trunk.
It is blooming wildly now and I thought I'd wait to collect it after the bloom finishes.
My question is, if you leave some root after you collect it, will the tree come up again.
My neighbor wants to clear it completely out.

I'm heartened by all the success stories and am just trying to get the energy up to
collect this tree. That and dodging twisters!

Good luck on your collection effort!

--
katie
Zone 6.5