GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] ??Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) good for bonsai??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/21383-%5Bibc%5D-rose-sharon-hibiscus-good-bonsai.html)

Bob Bugay 09-05-2003 12:32 AM

[IBC] ??Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) good for bonsai???

Hi.
Today I collected a Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) from a friends yard.
Anyone out there tried this plant as a bonsai? I would "assume" you
could treat it as you would a bougainvillea.
It's about 10 inches across at the base and is now planted in pumice.
I have pictures if anyone is interested.
Bob
USDA 9/Sunset 14-15

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 09-05-2003 12:32 AM

[IBC] ??Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) good for bonsai???

In a message dated 5/8/2003 7:10:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Hi.
Today I collected a Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) from a friends yard.
Anyone out there tried this plant as a bonsai? I would "assume" you
could treat it as you would a bougainvillea.
It's about 10 inches across at the base and is now planted in pumice.
I have pictures if anyone is interested.
Bob

Well, it can be done but it will need to be a large tree because the leaves
don't reduce that much, and the flowers not at all.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jim Lewis 09-05-2003 01:32 AM

writes:

Hi.
Today I collected a Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) from a friends

yard.
Anyone out there tried this plant as a bonsai? I would

"assume" you
could treat it as you would a bougainvillea.
It's about 10 inches across at the base and is now planted in

pumice.
I have pictures if anyone is interested.
Bob

Well, it can be done but it will need to be a large tree

because the leaves
don't reduce that much, and the flowers not at all.

Agree. Also, the stems -- with a pithy center -- are stiff and
don't bend worth a hoot. They break easily. This is a(n
awkward) clip-and-grow plant.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Our life is
David Thoreau - Walden

Wayne Greenleaf 10-05-2003 04:08 AM

[IBC] ??Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) good for bonsai???

But the flowers are lovely on the benches in the summer. However, it is
probably not bonsai.
Wayne
Zone USDA 9