Old 13-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Noiseless

Default Nectria canker on golden raintree?

During the spring of last year, I noticed that random branches on my
10-year-old golden raintree did not produce foliage. At the time, I
attributed this to the fairly dry summers we've had recently here in
the Piedmont area of North Carolina. However, a closer
inspection this spring revealed that the tree appears to be afflicted
with two cankers, each approximately 8-9 inches in length with a
maximum width of about 1.5 inches. These areas are surrounded by what
would pass for an inky blue or black stain on the bark of the tree.
Within the cankers are reddish-brown areas covered with a gelatinous
material that is very slow to dry after a rainy day. The larger site
has a milky-white spot in one part of the crevice. A series of 941 X
706 pixel color photographs taken of these sites is available for
viewing by navigating to the following web addresses:

http://www.shangorilla.com/~dave/P5110038.JPG
http://www.shangorilla.com/~dave/P5110039.JPG
http://www.shangorilla.com/~dave/P5110040.JPG
http://www.shangorilla.com/~dave/P5110041.JPG
http://www.shangorilla.com/~dave/P5110042.JPG

My review of past postings of articles to this and related
newsgroups/websites suggested that this is a case of Nectria canker.
In fact, one website listed Nectria as the only common problem
encountered with the golden raintree. Alas, most references to this
fungus indicate that it is an almost incurable condition. This is
especially distressing because the larger site is located in the main
fork of the tree's trunk, and will be impossible to remove by pruning.

Would a kind soul please advise me on the proper identification of
this menace, and perhaps suggest something to prolong the life of my
tree?

Should you wish to offer assistance via e-mail correspondence,
please remove the letters NOISELESS from my e-mail address.

D.