Old 19-05-2003, 01:08 PM
J. Gettinger

Default [IBC] Upsate NY Exhibition and Celebration

Greetings,
This past weekend I attend the Bonsai Exhibition put on by the Upstate NY Bonsai Society. I would have posted pictures, but as we know the Gallery is down for a while. Hopefully it will be back up soon, and I will post some of the pictures.

OK, as some of you know, I am not a long time Artist, been 'doing' Bonsai for 4 years, and my knowledge/experience/bonsai worldliness are limited, but that said this was one WONDERFUL exhibition. Granted the Upstate Society had a few extra special things g
oing for it. One, it was the 30th Anniversary of the groups annual show. Second it is the 40th anniversary of one of the members entrance into Bonsai, William Valavanis or Bill as we know him.

The event featured a large display of beautiful trees. At 5 PM on Saturday, the show was closed to the general public and the roughly 100 individuals attending the buffet and auction held later in the evening were able to follow Colin Lewis, Arthur Skolnik
and Bill Valavanis around the display as they critiqued many of the trees that were on display.

Colin Lewis had two demo's, one Saturday and one Sunday. Saturday night featured a wonderful meal and one heck of an auction. All in all, a great time. I thank the Upstate NY Society and strongly urge all who have not attended local society shows to go!

Jay Gettinger

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++