GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   chinese elm or zelkova ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/28341-chinese-elm-zelkova.html)

apostolis 23-05-2003 12:44 PM

chinese elm or zelkova ?

Hi.
I'd like to ask which are the differences
between chinese elm and zelkova?
How can i understand which is what?
Thanks in advance.

Iris Cohen 23-05-2003 01:45 PM

chinese elm or zelkova ?

I'd like to ask which are the differences
between chinese elm and zelkova?

Zelkova serrata, often called Japanese gray-bark elm, is closely related to
Chinese elm. Treatment as bonsai is similar. Zelkova leaves are larger than
Chinese elm, more pointed, & with coarser teeth. Zelkova makes very graceful
bonsai. The bark is smoother & more silvery gray. Chinese elm, especially the
standard form, is hardier and more disease resistant. Chinese elm, Ulmus
parvifolia, has given rise to a number of dwarf cultivars, which are a lot of
fun and make good shohin.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."