GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Root over Rock Planting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/28755-re-%5Bibc%5D-root-over-rock-planting.html)

kevin bailey 25-05-2003 02:08 PM

[IBC] Root over Rock Planting

Normal bonsai soil will be fine. Don't make the mistake I did with my
first. I paid more attention to the technique than the placement of the
tree and ended up with a tree on the apex of the rock. While this gives
maximum exposure of root, it does look somewhat unnatural.

To get maximum thickening and the roots really gripping the rock, I
allowed mine to root out of the bottom of the large plastic plant-pot
into a garden bed. Two years of development and now I'm ready to start
air layering portions off the top before final styling begins.

With later versions I've tried using plastic grafting tape to affix the
roots tightly to the rock. Next spring should see improved results, I
hope!

Cheers

Kev Bailey

Hi guys,

I've got a couple of Trident Maples, one of which I'm planning to plant
root
over rock. I've read a couple of books that cover this area, and each
gave
different info on the medium to plant the rock&roots into - one said
sharp
sand, the other normal bonsai soil.
Any ideas on what's the best medium for trident maples?

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++