Old 26-05-2003, 06:56 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Plane travel with a bonsai

Ah, Iceland. One of my favourite places. I don't think that you should
have any problems on the flight, so long as you can take the Serissa on
as hand luggage. Check with the airline beforehand. I flew from Glasgow
last time and it was less than an hour, so I suppose your flight will be
a couple of hours.

What sort of accommodation will you have while there? I'd be more
worried about dry air in a Hotel room.

Good luck

Kev Bailey

Hello all,

I am going to Iceland for a month in August and wish to take my bonsai
(Serissa) with me (there is no one here I trust enough to look after her
and nurseries wish to charge me an arm and a leg). I have contacted both
Icelandic and French customs officials and there are no problems taking
her into both countries.

I would appreciate some advice on how to keep her happy during the
flight and what special precautions I should take before, during and
after (if any).

Thanks a lot.
Erin Johanson

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Hello all,

I am going to Iceland for a month in August and wish to take my

bonsai
(Serissa) with me (there is no one here I trust enough to look

after her
and nurseries wish to charge me an arm and a leg). I have

contacted both
Icelandic and French customs officials and there are no

problems taking
her into both countries.

I would appreciate some advice on how to keep her happy during

the
flight and what special precautions I should take before,

during and
after (if any).

Thanks a lot.
Erin Johanson

Don't do it!

You don't tell us where you live, but there MUST be a better way.
A temperamental serissa will NOT enjoy so many changes of its
local climate -- your place; the dry, air-conditioned airport;
the plane, with cold, recycled air; the next airport(s), with
more air conditioning; the totally different Icelandic climate;
being bumped around enroute; and maybe more -- over such a rapid
and short period of time. Its leaves will have turned yellow,
dried up and fallen inside of the first week. And then, it would
not have time to recover before it gets subjected to the same
thing on the way home.

I also guarantee that notwithstanding what the customs folks you
talked to on the phone (or whatever), the customs officials you
run into in the airport terminal embarkation rooms will have a
totally different idea; since they will never have seen anything
like this before, they will assume (as bureaucrats always tend to
do when faced with something new) that it is forbidden. In that
case, you will lose the tree.

This obviously is your only tree and you obviously are attached
to it -- her. You would, I'm certain be very upset if it --
she -- failed to survive the trip. Pay the arm and leg if you
have to. Better yet, in the months between now and August find a
local bonsai club. Someone there would merely change you a
finger or two to care for the tree and would probably do a better
job.

There are ways to leave a bonsai for a shorter period -- wicks,
plastic bags, etc. -- but I think a month is too long to leave it
on its own. So, find another bonsai grower or fork out the dough
to a nursery -- and hope. There is none if you carry it with
you.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who has
endured jets, jet lag, and airports on several continents, and
customs officers from two dozen countries and knows whereof he
speaks.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Jim Lewis

I would appreciate some advice on how to keep her happy during
the
flight and what special precautions I should take before,

during and
after (if any).

Whatever you do, after your trip please remember to tell us what
you did, and if you took her, how she traveled.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 27-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Theo

I took a Camelia from Taiwan to Geneva passing trough Hong kong it was spring 94

I let the bonsai without water 2-3 days the branches become flexibles I put
a plastic wrapping around
starting from the trunk and going up and compacted as much as I could packed
inside a carton box and than inside a wheeled luggage it was about 3 ft hegh
for 2 wide it stayed there one week without damage just 1 twig broken
of course the leaves of camelia are thicker and bigger .. and serissa hates to be
deplaced
It all depends how big is it .. and I always carried the luggage with me to keep it
standing
the bonsai survived very well for 5 years than after a repotting started dying
back
Theo

--
How can You put trust in me if I do not trust in Me?
Theo

Old 27-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Make sure you talked to officials that knew what they were talking
about: I find it hard to believe that you'd be allowed to bring the
serissa in with soil included; they might allow it bare-root, but we
don't even want to imagine how the Serissa would react to that.

And honestly, I've always dreamed of going to Iceland, but never in
my fantasies did I dream of bringing my Serissa along. It spoils the
romance of the thing.

Many nurseries have a "kennel" service, where they would charge you
some sort of fee for taking care of the plant. And really, the only
kind of friend worth having is a friend who'll take care of your
bonsai- so join a club and make some friends.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

Old 27-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Erin Louise Johanson (RinnyWee)

Hi Nina, thanks for your reply.
I found a nursery which has agreed to do a discount for me as a student
and take my Serissa in for 5€ a week. I will have to get into Paris
somehow, but the price is so low I think I would be stupid to say no.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Erin

Old 28-05-2003, 02:57 AM
Jim Lewis

Hi Nina, thanks for your reply.
I found a nursery which has agreed to do a discount for me as a

student
and take my Serissa in for 5€ a week. I will have to get into

Paris
somehow, but the price is so low I think I would be stupid to

say no.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Erin

I think you and your tree will be a LOT happier with this
arrangement. Let us know how she survives.

David Throeeau

Old 28-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Bart Thomas

Erin:

That's a sensible decision. One problem that nobody touched on is getting
the tree BACK into the US. That could be the toughest part of all.

Bart

****

****

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

****

****

Old 28-05-2003, 10:09 AM
Erin Louise Johanson (RinnyWee)

Hi Bart,

Actually I live in France, and inter European travel with plants is a
lot easier than with other countries. Even if Iceland isn't in the EU,
it is part of an agreement called the Schengen agreement which gives
travellers moving between those countries a lot of freedoms in terms of
customs etc. Because of this I wouldn't have had a problem importing
the tree into either country.

In fact, the man I spoke with at the French Ministry of Agriculture said
that French Customs allow the importation of bonsai from most European
countries, as well as places like the US, Canada and Australia, because
of the strict regulations in place in THOSE countries.

Regards,
Erin

Old 28-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Jim Lewis

In fact, the man I spoke with at the French Ministry of

Agriculture said
that French Customs allow the importation of bonsai from most

European
countries, as well as places like the US, Canada and Australia,

because
of the strict regulations in place in THOSE countries.

Oh my! THAT is scary. The regulations may be strict (not strict
enough, in MY opinion) but enforcement is so lax to make the regs
a total joke. This isn't saying anything against the
agricultural inspectors (it is seldom "Customs" who is in charge
of plant introductions and quarantine). It is the higher-up who
don't ask for appropriate budget, or the even higher-ups who
don't _appropriate_ the budgets.

As a result exotic insects, diseases, and plants regularly enter
the USA (and I doubt there is much difference elsewhere). And
unfortunately, we don't really give a HOOT (except, perhaps, on
paper) what happens to leave the country and go to -- for example
to the EU.

ADMIN: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE snip off excess parts of messages.
There were several old e-mails appended to this message and SIX
copies of the bottom banner that accompanies every IBC message.

PLEASE SNIP MESSAGES!

We all forget occasionally, but . . .

(This is ANOTHER reason to append responses BELOW the incoming
message.)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - List nag

Old 28-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

As a result exotic insects, diseases, and plants regularly enter
the USA (and I doubt there is much difference elsewhere). And
unfortunately, we don't really give a HOOT (except, perhaps, on
paper) what happens to leave the country and go to -- for example
to the EU.

I'm filling out my permits now to receive fungi from California and
Europe. The regulatory people I've been working with to develop my
research plans seem to be competant and caring, which is surprising,
I admit.

I'm learning a lot about EU regulations concerning the transport of
nursery stock. All I can say is that "Sudden oak death" was a
localized problem in Germany and now, within one year, it has spread
throughout the EU. The EU open borders are good for trade, bad for
plant pests.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Travel To Singapore?Travel To Qatar?Travel To Philippines?Lets GoNow!!!! man with honour Gardening 0 11-08-2008 02:44 PM
plane tree Ken Smith Gardening 7 24-09-2003 06:32 AM
plane tree canker (Ceratocystis fimbriata) death probality Klaus Maier Gardening 0 03-08-2003 06:42 PM
Plane travel with a bonsai Erin Louise Johanson (RinnyWee) Bonsai 1 28-05-2003 09:56 AM
[IBC] Taking bonsai on a plane ride Edmund L. Castillo Bonsai 0 28-05-2003 02:44 AM