GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Taking bonsai on a plane ride (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/29368-%5Bibc%5D-taking-bonsai-plane-ride.html)

Edmund L. Castillo 28-05-2003 02:44 AM

[IBC] Taking bonsai on a plane ride

Some time back, before the current security restrictions, I carried a tree
from California to D.C. as carry-on luggage. The night before I left, my
grand children and I popped enough popcorn to feed ourselves and fill a
shopping bag. Then we put the tree in the bag, poured in the requisite
amount of popcorn and fitted another bag over the top. It lay on its side
in the overhead compartment but arrived in perfect condition.

Of course, we could have used plastic peanuts, but then you can't eat the
leftovers.

This package was not x-rayed, but if it had been it would not have damaged
the tree and it clearly would have shown the inspectors that there was
nothing subversive inside. Having a sales slip might have been useful in
today's world.

Now, there are those in the IBC who would call a serissa subversive, but
that's a whole other argument, for which see the archives.

elc

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++