GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Siberian Crab (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/29738-%5Bibc%5D-siberian-crab.html)

Dylan Blew 30-05-2003 04:44 AM

[IBC] Siberian Crab

I have some Siberian crab seeds (Malus baccata), how long do they need to be refrigerated to stratify them? What is the best way to go about stratifying them?

Thanks for the help.
Dylan Blew
Sunset zone 22

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Evergreen Gardenworks 30-05-2003 04:32 PM

[IBC] Siberian Crab

At 08:12 PM 5/29/03 -0700, Dylan wrote:
I have some Siberian crab seeds (Malus baccata), how long do they need to
be refrigerated to stratify them? What is the best way to go about
stratifying them?

Dylan

Don't let them dry out. Malus seeds don't usually need pretreatment, but
you might get better and more even germination with a cold moist period.
You could plant them out now and if they germinate, fine. If they don't,
just leave the pot or flat out for the winter and they will get their
pretreatment naturally and germinate next spring.

Then all you have to do is sit back and wait the twenty years it takes for
them to flower. That's why I recommend growing crabs from cuttings rather
than seed.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++