Old 06-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Corcoran. Bil

Default [IBC] Trident Maple Leaf Problem on Gallery

I just posted some pictures of some leaves of a Trident Maple I am
having a problem with. If anyone has any advice for me please check out
the gallery photos and let me know. Thanks in advance.

wmcorcor

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 06-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Jim Lewis

I just posted some pictures of some leaves of a Trident Maple I
am
having a problem with. If anyone has any advice for me please
check out
the gallery photos and let me know. Thanks in advance.

wmcorcor

===========
On the gallery you wrote: "The leaves seem to start ok, then get
brown tips and then the tips dry and curl, however unless they
are falling without me noticing it seems to not destroy the
entire leaf, at least not quickly and not all of them and it does
continue to grow out new leaves."

So I have to ask, when the new leaves form do they do this? All
of them? Do ALL the leaves on the tree have it? If not, what
percentage? How old are the leaves when the edges start to
brown.

I'm pretty sure it is NOT a fungus. A fungus would quickly
affect the entire leaf. Depending on the answer to my questions,
my best guess would be too much water. But maybe Nina has a
better answer.

That leads me to ask you to describe the soil.

If the pot has 2 drainage holes (one at each end) try setting it
at a tilt and see if new leaves continue to have this problem.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - This economy
is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord
Nelson, 1995

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Corcoran. Bil

Jim:

Thanks for replying...

I'd say about 90% have this problem. The age doesn't seem to matter...I
see young and old leaves with it and young and old leaves without it.
Most leaves have the tips affected some have a few spots in mid-leaf
(which is why I was thinking fungus). I have very little experience
with fungus so I'm not sure.

This tree is in a very fast draining soil (1/3 turface, 1/3 decomposed
granite, 1/3 pine bark mulch), three drainage holes (1 large in the
middle) and has very healthy looking roots. It is in the same pot &
soil mix as previous years (with no problems) and the other two Tridents
I have are also in the same mix, location and even style of pot.

We have seen a lot of rain but it does drain fast, it is in a sunny
location with a fair amount of wind.

I'll have to pay more attention to exactly how the leaves ultimately
drop and how quickly. I'll also try tilting it to see if that helps
drain but I suspect with the holes in the middle it may or may not help.

Is there anything else I can show you to help diagnose?

Thanks,
wmcorcor

== I just posted some pictures of some leaves of a Trident Maple I
== am
== having a problem with. If anyone has any advice for me please
== check out
== the gallery photos and let me know. Thanks in advance.
==
== wmcorcor
==
== ===========
[...]
== ********
== ++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page ++++
==
== ********
--
==
== +++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

Old 06-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Jim Lewis

This tree is in a very fast draining soil (1/3 turface, 1/3
decomposed
granite, 1/3 pine bark mulch), three drainage holes (1 large in
the
middle) and has very healthy looking roots. It is in the same
pot &
soil mix as previous years (with no problems) and the other two
Tridents
I have are also in the same mix, location and even style of pot.

====================

Did you do anything to this tree this year that you did NOT do to
the other tridents?

Spray (pesticide/fungicide), ad/withhold fertilizer, trim
drastically???

Did you repot this year?

If so, did this one lose more root that the others?

Old 06-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Corcoran. Bil

No...other than one 1/4 dose of dynagrow weeks ago and 1 small
application of Green King pellets (about 4 days ago) I haven't done
anything to this tree this year at all. It's in the same pot even same
spot on the deck as last year. I did the same things to the other two
Tridents as well which is basically nothing.

No pesticides, in fact I only use Carl Rosner's mix (soap, vegetable
oil, rubbing alcohol) but not on or near this tree ever. I haven't
pruned it in two years other than starting to remove the bad leaves last
night.

It was repotted early last year not this year.

I brought it out of cold storage and put it on the deck and watered
it...and that's it...again why I was leaning toward a fungus. We have
had a cool very wet spring so far which also leads me toward fungus but
again I have almost no fungus experience.

Thanks

==

Old 07-06-2003, 04:22 AM
JRA BONSAI

Bill,

Sounds like the tree has dried out with resulting damage to the leaves. Long
wet spells followed by extreme sun and strong wind are likely to cause the
symptoms you describe. This is especially true with a soil that drains as well
as yours. Part of the problem may be that we think the tree is getting more
water than it is during rainy periods. A full canopy on a trident can shed
most of the rainfall outside of the pot when the rain is light. The pot will
appear fully watered but may not have enough water content to sustain a sunny,
windy day immediately following.

Julian R. Adams
Adams' Bonsai
Lynchburg, VA