Old 14-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Jim S

Default [IBC] Maple - Why Not Repot Now?

I have a Japanese maple that I trunk chopped, leaving no foliage. The tree
is in aweful clay. Which got me wondering...

What is the difference between now and early spring with bare-rooting and
repotting IF all the foliage is removed now? There is no loss of moisture
since there is no foliage. I have a feeling there are solid reasons not to
do it now, but I was wondering what they were.

Thanks,

Jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Shelly Hurd

Jim,
Is that your pic on the gallery? It doesn't come all the way through, but I
thought I'd relate this story and you can take it for what it's worth.

Nine or ten years ago I was given the chance to "collect" two Japanese
maples from a medical office that was going to add an extension to the
building right were the trees were. They were going pull them out with
back-hoe and throw them in the garbage. These were mature trees, over 12
feet tall, with trunks the size of my thigh. IN JULY. HERE. I accepted
the offer (feeling like Kevin (another thread running now) that what the
heck, they will surely die if I don't try). The rootballs wound up to be
about 56 inches in diameter and 26 inches deep (had to use piano trolleys to
move them).

Anyway, BOTH TREES LIVED, and are beautiful today.

So, with Acer p. you can do things that go against the normal grain and
succeed as long as you use common sense and all the post-stress care you
can. The trees don't want to die and will fight like crazy to live.

FWIW,
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

"Jim S" wrote:

I have a Japanese maple that I trunk chopped, leaving no foliage. The

tree
is in aweful clay. Which got me wondering...

What is the difference between now and early spring with bare-rooting and
repotting IF all the foliage is removed now? There is no loss of moisture
since there is no foliage. I have a feeling there are solid reasons not

do it now, but I was wondering what they were.

Thanks,

Jim

spring planting of rootbound tree; repot now? Emery Davis[_3_] United Kingdom 9 25-11-2013 07:44 PM
To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 05:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 06:32 AM
[IBC] Ficus Repot Now? Jim Sc Bonsai 0 18-07-2004 01:02 PM
Should I immediately repot my new japanese maple (acre)? [email protected] United Kingdom 1 22-04-2003 05:56 PM