GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Osteomeles and Crabapple (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/32378-re-%5Bibc%5D-osteomeles-crabapple.html)

Jim Lewis 16-06-2003 08:08 PM

[IBC] Osteomeles and Crabapple

I have a Malus 'Indian Summer' which is also doing well.

However, it has not
bloomed yet. Purchased in 1999. Cutting grown on its own roots

for bonsai. It
finally has decent branches, with some secondary & tertiary

ramification. Right
now it has long shoots growing in all directions, which the

instructions say
should be cut back in the fall. However, I am thinking of

showing it in
Schenectady next week. If I trim the long shoots now, just

enough to look
respectable, will that ruin its chances of blooming next year?

Dirr, in his rather lengthy essay on crabapples, says if any
pruning is done " it should be completed before early June. Most
crabapples initiate flower buds for next season in mid-June to
early July and pruning at that time or later would result in
decreased flower production the following year. Pruning may be
done, however, to remove sucker growth, open up the center of the
plant to light and air, to cut off out-of-place branches, and
shape the tree."

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Growing
desperate: Pleeeaaassseee . . .DO NOT USE AN APOSTROPHE TO MAKE
A PLURAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++