GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chinese elm problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/33741-chinese-elm-problem.html)

Gerrit Hiddink 23-06-2003 10:20 PM

Chinese elm problem

Hi,

I have a 17 year old "root over rock" elm (I own it now for 1.5 yr)
that is showing some problems recently: the leaves become yellow
(first some stains, then progressively yellow until they fall off).
The entire "look" of the bonsai is that it's not feeling happy: the
leaves are pale and it has stopped developing new shoots. The fresh
leaves of new shoots that were already there are very fragile and
easily fall off, new & green and all. The really small "pre-shoots"
have dried out and fallen off, all in about a week's time. So the
growth of the plant has come to a complete stop, while the number
of leaves is decreasing rapidly. It may have suffered from taking it
in the car when I took it with me on holidays (some people take their
dog, I took my bonsai).

The plant is living outside, in half shade and was watered once a
day (water sprayed on soil, wait until soaked up, spray again).
The weather here (Netherlands) is sunny, 20-25 degrees C, sometimes
(few times a week) a rainshower.

I may have overwatered it, but I'm not sure whether or not it could
be a fungus problem or insects. Do these symptoms sound familiar, what
could be the problem & what could be the cure?

Thanks, Gerrit

wsallen 25-06-2003 03:08 AM

Chinese elm problem

Gerrit Hiddink wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have a 17 year old "root over rock" elm (I own it now for 1.5 yr)
that is showing some problems recently: the leaves become yellow
(first some stains, then progressively yellow until they fall off).

snip

In addition to Jim's excellent advice, take the tree (or a list of its
symptoms) to your local bonsai nursery/club and ask the advice of experts to
your *local* environment.

And get a Ficus to take on holidays! :+)
Cheers,
Heidi Aussie