Old 25-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Air layered Jacqueline Hillier Elm

I recently air layered 3 branches on a Jacqueline Hillier Elm. Yesterday,
while watering, I noticed a whole bunch of leaves on those 3 branches have
turned yellow. It's already dropped a goodly number of yellowed leaves from
those branches as well. Now, I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed;
but it appears that, since the leaves are turning yellow ONLY on those 3
branches - there must be some relationship. Is it common for the air
layered branches to lose their leaves? If not - is there anything I should
or can do to help?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-06-2003, 01:56 PM
spat

I do not have a great deal of experience with air layering. I am attempting
a layer on a (full size) mature apple tree in my grand farther garden. I
have left a small (8mm) section of bark bridging the layer, I don't know
why, I just thought it might help. Some of the leaves on the layered branch
had turned yellow and fallen off. I have now put a clear plastic bag over
the whole of the branch to stop excessive transpiration (water loss through
the leaves). I have not seen any more yellow leaves. I water the layer using
a syringe containing rain water with a few drops of rooting hormone (the
liquid seaweed extract type).

Hope this helps.

If the is anyone has had a successful air layer using a similar method
please reply to the group to give us beginners a bit of confidence.

Tim Midlands UK.

"Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL" wrote in message
news:87FC4D6C5FBDD311A6F00008C7E6F4C6243263B9@excm sg01ptlge.penske.com...
I recently air layered 3 branches on a Jacqueline Hillier Elm. Yesterday,
while watering, I noticed a whole bunch of leaves on those 3 branches have
turned yellow. It's already dropped a goodly number of yellowed leaves

from
those branches as well. Now, I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed;
but it appears that, since the leaves are turning yellow ONLY on those 3
branches - there must be some relationship. Is it common for the air
layered branches to lose their leaves? If not - is there anything I

should
or can do to help?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] 'Jacqueline Hillier' [email protected] Bonsai 7 02-07-2004 05:02 AM
[IBC] 'Jacqueline Hillier' William Valavanis Bonsai 1 21-03-2004 11:15 AM
'Jacqueline Hillier' Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 21-03-2004 05:06 AM
'Jacqueline Hillier' Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 21-03-2004 04:56 AM
[IBC] Air Layering a Jacqueline Hillier Elm Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 1 11-06-2003 10:20 PM