Old 25-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Leaves on air layered branch turning yellow

I shall try again - more generically. Is it common for leaves on an air
layered branch to start yellowing and even dropping from the branch? If it
is not common, is there anything I can do to mitigate it?

Thanks,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Jim Lewis

I shall try again - more generically. Is it common for leaves
on an air
layered branch to start yellowing and even dropping from the

branch? If it
is not common, is there anything I can do to mitigate it?

No and probably not.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-06-2003, 03:45 AM
MartyWeiser

If the bark is cut too deep during layering the flow of water and nutrients
up the branch/trunk will be slowed and or stopped. This could cause the
leaves to yellow and die. You might try misting the tree and/or keeping it
in a more protected environment so the leaves are not drawing as much from
the roots. This may slow the growth of new roots, particularly if more
protected means less sunlight, but it may keep the branch alive long enough
for solid pathways to be reestablished.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Thanks for the responses. I had read how to do this any number of times and
thought it was a fairly straight forward process. Apparantly, this is not
the case. At any rate - thanks for the advice, I will definitely move it
into a more shaded area and mist it a few times a day. I really would like
to save the branches.

Now - for future reference - I essentially girdled the branches down to
where the wood is a greenish-white (removed all the bark and cadmium layer),
dusted it with rooting hormone and then wrapped it in wet spaghnum moss. I
then wrapped that with plastic sheeting and secured at both ends. Did I go
too deep? Should I, perhaps, have left a couple strips of the bark intact
so the branch wasn't completely girdled? Any help on this would be
appreciated as I had hoped to use this method as my primary means of
propogating new trees...our growing season here is too short for seeds to be
really practical and I don't seem to have much luck with cuttings!

Thanks again,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Now - for future reference - I essentially girdled the branches
down to
where the wood is a greenish-white (removed all the bark and

cadmium layer),
dusted it with rooting hormone and then wrapped it in wet

spaghnum moss. I
then wrapped that with plastic sheeting and secured at both

ends. Did I go
too deep?

No. If anything, you should have gone deeper. You want to
scrape away to BARE wood. That greenish white sounds like it was
still living tissue.

You do NOT want to take off wood shavings, but you DO want to
scrape down to bare wood.

It's probably better to cover the sheeting with foil so the roots
develop in the dark. But that has nothing to do with the yellow
leaves.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

what is layered soil? nightrider.36 Lawns 8 17-06-2008 12:02 AM
layered branches Allview Gardening 1 07-10-2003 02:02 PM
[IBC] Air layered Jacqueline Hillier Elm Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 1 26-06-2003 12:56 PM
Help! Peach tree leaves turning yellow. br Texas 5 17-05-2003 02:56 AM
Gardenia leaves turning yellow [email protected] Gardening 4 12-04-2003 12:56 PM