Old 03-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Large leaves

In a message dated 3/3/2003 1:28:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have just started the whole Bonsai thing and recently acquired a 17Y/o
Chinese Hackberry. My problem is I am getting very large leaves is this due
to not enough Sun?

Probably, but it could also be fertilizer and the need to prune.
First, watering. If there are rocks on the soil surface remove them
and fill the space with good potting soil. Now, put a wooden chop stick or
meat skewer in the soil about 1/2 way between the trunk of the tree and the
edge of the pot. Unless the stick is dry, don't water.
Second, light. My Chinese Hackberry stays outside in the central
Florida sun all year. I don't do Celsius well so I don't know 43 C but here
mid 90's F is common.
Third, many plants will develop large leaves if allowed to do so. The
secret is frequent tip pruning. Once a branch has three sets of leaves cut
off the tip. On most plants you must leave two sets of leaves. If you
notice the first set of leaves on a twig are not like the rest and may not
have buds at the base, but the second set will have buds.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi there,
I would like to post a question to the Group.
I have just started the whole Bonsai thing and recently

acquired a 17Y/o
Chinese Hackberry. My problem is I am getting very large leaves

is this due
to not enough Sun ? . as when I got it the leaves were allot

smaller. And I
am watering the plant everyday as well as spraying it with a

mist gun, I
live in a rather hot environment d the temperature can

sometimes reach 43deg
Celsius , so the water evaporates at a large rate ... am I

watering it
enough ?

Duncan,

It would be nice to know where you live. I assume from your
e-mail it's somewhere in southern Africa???

Anyway, Chinese hackberry (Celtis sinensis) tends to have larger
leaves than other hackberries. It should do fine outdoors in
full sun, through, since my books tell me it is a warmth-loving
plant. It probably will not thrive indoors. If you've had it in
the shade, that could make the new leaves enlarge.

Daily watering is probably too much. Only water when the soil
starts to feel dry. The only hackberry I grow is the native
species that grows around here -- with tiny leaves -- and it
doesn't _mind_ damp feet, but does not do well if the soil is
wet.

Did you repot? Fertilize?

This may be one of the trees that you will need to defoliate in
mid-growing season to get a flush of smaller leaves.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 03-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Bart Thomas

Hi, Duncan.

Where are you located? That 43C works out to just under 110F!

I don't know how well this tree will do in that heat, but Billy's advice is
sound.

Regards,

Bart
I would like to post a question to the Group.
I have just started the whole Bonsai thing and recently acquired a 17Y/o
Chinese Hackberry. My problem is I am getting very large leaves is this

due
to not enough Sun ? . as when I got it the leaves were allot smaller. And

am watering the plant everyday as well as spraying it with a mist gun, I
live in a rather hot environment d the temperature can sometimes reach

43deg
Celsius , so the water evaporates at a large rate ... am I watering it
enough ?

Thanks for all your advise already , and while you are shovelling snow
...Ill be baking in the sun. Have a good day.

Duncan

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++