Old 28-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Cuttings (was: [IBC] Air Layering Liquidambar Styraciflua)

Speaking of cuttings... some time ago I asked for advice on
making
cuttings of several other species: bald cypress (Taxodium

distichum),
dawn redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides), giant sequoia
(Sequoiadendron giganteum), coast redwood (Sequoia

sempervirens) and
giant red cedar (Thuja plicata). Of all those species I only

managed to
root cuttings (a cutting, to be specific) of coast redwood.

While I have
no trouble rooting Thuja occidentalis, plicata is a mystery to

me. And
all the other redwoods. Any advice? Thanks.

Taxodium root readily from match-size cuttings through 1/2 inch.
I always use root hormone, through. I don't put them under
glass. Just dip in the hormone powder, punch a hole in the soil,
and stick the cutting in, tamp it down, and ignore it.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Luke Tulkas

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
Taxodium root readily from match-size cuttings through 1/2 inch.
I always use root hormone, through. I don't put them under
glass. Just dip in the hormone powder, punch a hole in the soil,
and stick the cutting in, tamp it down, and ignore it.

When do you usually take cuttings? When the tree is bare of leaves or
when it has them? I have tried in early spring, without the leaves, the
buds half opened and then dried. If I took them in late spring with the
leaves on, the leaves quickly wilted and dropped off. No roots. Must try
it with the hormone next time.

Old 28-06-2003, 10:44 PM
John Grotts

How late in the year can I go on this ? I'm in zone 5 and have several I
would like to try now that you mention it.

****

****

Old 28-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Jim Lewis

When do you usually take cuttings? When the tree is bare of

leaves or
when it has them? I have tried in early spring, without the

leaves, the
buds half opened and then dried. If I took them in late spring

with the
leaves on, the leaves quickly wilted and dropped off. No roots.

Must try
it with the hormone next time.

Whenever. I "take" cuttings whenever I do any trimming.

Hormone is highly recommended -- as is LOTS of moisture.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Liquidambar styraciflua central leader Emery Davis Gardening 1 04-07-2005 04:27 PM
[IBC] air layering Jim Lewis Bonsai 8 25-04-2004 11:18 PM
[IBC] Air Layering Liquidambar Styraciflua Luke Tulkas Bonsai 0 28-06-2003 08:20 PM
[IBC] Air layering Oak Trees George Bizas Bonsai 6 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
[IBC] air layering for new nebari Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 25-01-2003 02:13 PM