Old 30-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Air pollution (Lichen or knot)

But maybe im wrong since New York City is an island.
On that note what are some of the least hardy trees in
polluted air?

Ben

Long Island is an Island, but we get all the smog from NYC.
Different trees are sensitive to different pollutants. On Long
Island, we actually have to worry about crop loss to ozone. Many
beans are sensitive (and by beans, I include trees in the Fabaceae,
such as honey locust and kentucky coffee tree) and larch and most
pines. Many conifers are sensitive to acid pollutants like SO2
(released by power plants and smelters). In some parts of the
country fluorides are a problem (where you have aluminum
manufacturing plants, for instance). Minor air pollutants include
ammonia and chlorine.

The recent EPA report, while backpedalling shamefully on global
warming (I know of no scientists who actually have much doubt about
it), does have some happy news; our air is much cleaner than it was
20 years ago.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD