GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Black Branch - HELP please! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/35367-black-branch-help-please.html)

Evione 03-07-2003 09:11 PM

Black Branch - HELP please!

Hi, I have recently been given a Bonsai, but part of a branch (quite a large one), has been chopped in half. It seems to be turning black, and the wood seems soft.I am worried some sort of disease is setting in - can anyone help?

Many thanks,
Laura

Jim Lewis 03-07-2003 11:32 PM

[IBC] Black Branch - HELP please!

Hi, I have recently been given a Bonsai, but part of a branch
(quite a
large one), has been chopped in half. It seems to be turning

black, and
the wood seems soft.I am worried some sort of disease is

setting in -
can anyone help?

Laura . . . what kind of tree IS it? Juniper? Serissa? Chinese
elm? Ficus? Other?

Does it have needles?
Leaves? Big ones? Small ones? Light green? Dark green?

Who chopped it?

Does this bonsai have rocks fixed to the soil? If it does, GET
RID OF THEM and replace the space they took up with a decent
potting soil.

Be careful how you water. Water ONLY when the soil feels DRY. Do
NOT water daily unless the soil goes dry daily.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Evione 04-07-2003 08:47 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - it's a Serissa, light green small leaves. Who chopped it? I don't know I haven't spoken to my friend again yet, but I don't think they should have chopped it, to me it looked like it was heading in a good direction!

Anyway it seems to be turning black from where it got chopped downwards, I don't know much about Bonsai, I am trying to learn though and this don't look good!

Cheers for any help!

Carl L Rosner 04-07-2003 11:08 PM

[IBC] Black Branch - HELP please!

Dear Evione:
I think you should try to take your tree to a local agriculture agent or
an Arboretium, or an agriculture Department of a University. I am sure
there must be some one near you that could help you.. Bonsai clubs???

Carl L. Rosner

--
Evione

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++