Old 07-07-2003, 05:51 AM
Manuel A Chavez

Default [IBC] Black spots on my cork bark elm leaves. Please help

My cork barels as been getting black spots on the leaves. I have not
observed any bugs on the tree. The early summer was quite wet, raining
almost every day which is a elco,ed relieve from the drought we experienced
last year hear in Colorado. Does this should like black spot disease,
anthracnose ? If so what can I do to help my tree. I have cut of the
leaves with the black spots and have destroyed them, Any suggestions will
help. Is my tree in immediate danger? Thanks in advance.

Manny

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Nina Shishkoff

My cork barels as been getting black spots on the leaves. I have not
observed any bugs on the tree. The early summer was quite wet, raining
almost every day which is a elco,ed relieve from the drought we experienced
last year hear in Colorado. Does this should like black spot disease,
anthracnose ? If so what can I do to help my tree. I have cut of the
leaves with the black spots and have destroyed them, Any suggestions will
help. Is my tree in immediate danger? Thanks in advance.

Manny

I'm not being especially brilliant by suggesting your tree has "black
spot of elm" caused by the fungus Stegophora ulmea. It's not a
serious disease (it won't kill the tree), so don't worry too much.
There are two ways to control it: one is to remove the diseased
leaves carefully, making sure not to touch healthy leaves while
you're doing it, and washing your hands afterward. Afterwards you
have to keep the foliage dry (put the tree in a location where rain
won't hit it and water the soil only). That's the calm, no-pesticide
method, which I would use myself for a mild case. If your case is
more serious, the other way would be to use a fungicide. Maneb or
Mancozeb or a combination of mancozeb and copper hydroxide are the
recommended treatments in NY; you'll have to check the labels to see
if they are legal in Colorado. Again, I would recommend keeping the
foliage dry between spray treatments until the disease is under
control (it is spread by rain-splash). Good Luck!

--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: