Old 04-03-2003, 01:28 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Pruning Bald Cypress seedlings

I would cut them all to five inches. I wouldn't worry about a branch. They
bud from anywhere.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Jim Lewis

I would cut them all to five inches. I wouldn't worry about a
branch. They
bud from anywhere.

Billy is right they bud back as well as any tree anywhere and
much better than most.

HOWEVER, even for me, 3/16 inch is pretty tiny. If these were my
trees, I'd plant tham in the ground (preferred) or in the bottom
1/3 of a cut-down 10-gallon pot and just let them grow, doing
absolutely NOTHING to them for another 2 years.

Then, cut them back to about 1/3 of whatever length they've
reached, let them grow another year, cut the new growth back by
2/3 and let it grow one more year, then ditto. Always let side
branches grow with no pruning, etc. By then, you should have a
tree with the start of some taper, with bases of 1/2 to 1 inch.
It will take another 2-3 years for the three cut sites to blend
into the taper, but you could have trees that will be developable
into nice flat-top style bonsai, with a large number of nice side
branches to form into jin and shari.

This will be a bit slower if you're in a real cold climate. I
don't recall that you said.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Steve Payne

Thanks for the advice.... I did both.
I cut 2 of them last night and the other 2 I will leave alone.
This weekend I'll put one of the cut and uncut in the ground.

Steve
P.S. I'm in central Texas

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Concerning a Bald Cypress trunk chop Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 12-01-2005 05:24 AM
[IBC] Watering Willow and Bald Cypress Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 7 24-12-2003 06:42 PM
[IBC] Bald Cypress randi sharp Bonsai 2 14-07-2003 06:32 AM
[IBC] Bald Cypress chop timing audgen Bonsai 2 13-04-2003 02:44 PM
Pruning Bald Cypress seedlings Steve Payne Bonsai 0 04-03-2003 12:07 AM