Old 12-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Soils, was/Intro & Stuff*

At 01:25 PM 7/12/03 -0700, Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:

As to soils.
Long ago I settled on a simple mix of sifted crushed red
brick,sifted crushed silica sand and compost/manure.
I have no complaints thus far,and full sun placement with
good spacing for those that can handle it has left me
relatively pest or disease free.

I like to use a fast draining soil with lava/pumice, sand and some
organics. Depending on the tree's need for water I mix the components to
hold more or less water, then water everything the same. My current pumice
source is a product called "DryStall" it is used to keep horse hoofs dry
in the stable. It holds moisture, but keeps the soil around it from
becoming mud. I have settled on this because it is reasonably priced and I
can always get it a a large pet store (not true if I depended on imported
soils). DryStall is also the size of coarse sand and seems to be low in
dust. I also use red lava. As I understand it, pumice/lava has various
amounts of moisture retention by color and density. Black lava is the
hardest and least absorbent, then red, then white, finally Akadama/Kanuma,
which is a very soft pumice.

I use aquarium sand and #2 washed sand. My organics vary with
availability. I liked Supersoil Orchid Mix, but they took it off they
market. When it came back it had too much dust for my taste. I also use a
coarse planting mix, fir bark, coarse peat, depending on the plant.

This all works well in California.

Kitsune Miko

* please note header change. Those who want to know less about me might
not read a header tha looks like it is more about me.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Satsuki problem, soils ( I changed the title as subject Theo Bonsai 15 02-06-2004 07:05 AM
[IBC] Intro & Stuff Kitsune Miko Bonsai 4 14-07-2003 04:17 PM
intro & identity of flower question Lynda Gardening 1 07-07-2003 02:56 PM
intro & Q Teri Gardening 2 20-06-2003 02:08 PM
Intro & miniature rose Judy Rigby United Kingdom 1 18-04-2003 06:32 PM