Old 13-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] What besides a juniper for a Phoenix graft?

I had to admit today that the juniper in my Phoenix graft,
done two years ago, is dead. I have two questions ?
Could placing the juniper whip into a groove that may have
been too deep and too tight been a cause, or does a whip
trunk grow all right in that situation? It thrived for those
two years, but has been stressed this past 4-5 months; I am
not sure why.
I am least fond of junipers and if I fail at something it
is sure to be a juniper. I have a few okay, never a bad
moment from them, but this was my only and first phoenix graft
and I crammed that trunk into the groove. I am preparing
another piece of deadwood and wish I had a different tree.
Is there something besides a juniper whip that would
substitute. I am not the keenest on junipers. I could make a
larger groove, plenty of room to do that. Is a pine possible?
I am keen on conifers.
Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA
Zone 7-8

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Good Morning to All,
Lynn,

Hello.You might enjoy a tamarisk.Fast growing,
and should have enough cold tolerance for your
side.They do well on our beach side lawns,but
are not native.

An olive may also do the same,perhaps the wild
version with the smaller leaves.You should be able
to get flowers and fruit.
How about a willow [as in old man willow].
Hope that helps.
Stay Well.
Khaimraj
[ West Indies/Caribbean,
The soggy lands]

another piece of deadwood and wish I had a different tree.
Is there something besides a juniper whip that would
substitute. I am not the keenest on junipers. I could make a
larger groove, plenty of room to do that. Is a pine possible?
I am keen on conifers.
Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA
Zone 7-8

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

I am least fond of junipers and if I fail at something it
is sure to be a juniper. I have a few okay,

Oh, me too, me too . . . but I have NO feel for pines.

never a bad
moment from them, but this was my only and first phoenix graft
and I crammed that trunk into the groove.

That should not have been a problem. Did you peel off the living
tissue from the side that went into the groove?

I am preparing
another piece of deadwood and wish I had a different tree.
Is there something besides a juniper whip that would
substitute.

Any of the Mimosa family should do well. Oaks (with care) and
perhaps a bit of fire scorch. Buttonwood, of course, and a few
other tropicals.

snip

Is a pine possible?

I would think so -- one of those timberline pines that grow in
your part of the world.