Old 14-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Just collected two old Grapevines - what can i do ?

Try to write to Don Ziemnann: He has a web site and most of it is on
grape vine Bonsai. He's the man!!!

Don Ziemann

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Allen wrote:

This was the only chance i had ... friends were moving, so don't tell
me to collect them in the spring ... no chance!
Anyway, both are 1.5 - 2" diameter, old old wood with actively growing
vines.
I took as many feeder roots as i could, repotted them in a sandy
organic mix, and i've cut them back to just a couple of leaves. They
are in 3 gal tall nursery containers in the shade.
Questions: the old leaves are all full of small holes, is this a pest
i need to stop?
The trunks have lots of rotting wood parts to them ... what can i do
to stop the rot?
The bark and 'trunk' is spectacular! can i air-layer to get more
trees?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-07-2003, 03:18 PM
Jim Lewis

This was the only chance i had ... friends were moving, so
don't tell
me to collect them in the spring ... no chance!
Anyway, both are 1.5 - 2" diameter, old old wood with actively

growing
vines.
I took as many feeder roots as i could, repotted them in a

sandy
organic mix, and i've cut them back to just a couple of leaves.

They
are in 3 gal tall nursery containers in the shade.

Larger containers (or, better yet, the ground) might have been
better, but . . .

Keep them in shade, do NOT overwater, but don't let them go
_completely_ dry, either. It is a delicate balance, leaning
toward the dry side.

Questions: the old leaves are all full of small holes, is this

a pest
i need to stop?

No. Not now. It's a beetle, and probably got left behind.
Unless you have many more grapes in your yard, you probably don't
have any that will find your trees this year. If the plants
survive -- and, frankly, I think it is unlikely -- the bugs may
find the leaves next year. A pyrethrum spray works. But not
now! The plants do not need any chemical stress.

The trunks have lots of rotting wood parts to them ... what can

i do
to stop the rot?

Not much. Grape wood is very fibrous. Work the rot into your
design.

The bark and 'trunk' is spectacular! can i air-layer to get

more
trees?

Not THIS year.

FYI - I posted a pic of a native grape bonsai on our gallery this
weekend, and Don Z regularly post pics of wine-grape bonsai. He
may have more to say on the resuscitation of collected grapes.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-07-2003, 03:18 PM
Jay Sinclair

Allen wrote:

I took as many feeder roots as i could, repotted them in a sandy
organic mix, and i've cut them back to just a couple of leaves. They
are in 3 gal tall nursery containers in the shade.

I've never collected grape at this time of year, so I don't know your chances, but
they are pretty tough.

Questions: the old leaves are all full of small holes, is this a pest
i need to stop?

Maybe. Japanese beetles love my grapes - I murder them by the thousands every year.
They are just now starting to appear in my area. Keep an eye out for shiny orangish
beetles about a half inch long - a rather attractive little pest, actually. If you
see 'em, smush 'em.

The trunks have lots of rotting wood parts to them ... what can i do
to stop the rot?

Try Minwax wood hardener. Some complain that it makes the wood appear shiny, but in
my experience weathering will take care of that. Be careful not to get it on any
living part of the tree.

The bark and 'trunk' is spectacular! can i air-layer to get more
trees?

Others (like Don Zeiman) will be better qualified to tackle this one.

Jay

Zone 5, Michigan, USA
--
Peace, n. In international affairs, a period of cheating between two periods of
fighting.

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++