GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   PJM Rhododendron roots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/38083-pjm-rhododendron-roots.html)

Harry in Iowa 23-07-2003 11:23 PM

PJM Rhododendron roots

Hi all,

I have purchased a Rhododendron and it was apparently planted in peat
moss. When removed from the pot I have a perfectly shaped replica of the
pot. A solid mass of root fibers. Do I hack and slash to get the shape I
want? I have removed about 1/3 of the mass and there is no difference
farther in.

It came in a 3 gallon nursey pot. From soil surface to top approximately
18 inches. Spread about the same. Trunk about 1 & 1/4 inches at the base.
After removal of some of the root mass I soaked it a bucket of water to
make sure the peat moss was wetted again.

How do I approach this?

Thanks in advance,
Harry in Iowa