Old 04-08-2003, 11:02 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Chamaecyparis soil type question - and a small Google primer

I haven't grown thyoides but C p. Boulevard and several others thrived
in my last garden which was on limestone.

There are many references on the web but if you do a Google search for
"Chamaecyparis thyoides" and "soil requirements". Put the terms in
quotes and the search engine looks for an exact match to those phrases.
This returns a more manageable 10 results.

Incidentally rather than downloading .pdf files to read which takes time
and hard drive space, you can view them as html direct from the search
results page. Just click "view as html under the page link.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

I have recently bought a Chamaecparis thyoides tree to train as a
bonsai. I
have just a question about soil types.

I had a look at the BCI species guide and read that Chamaecyparis are
lime
hating. So, could I use a potting mix specifically made for azaleas for
the
Chamaecyparis? I presume I could, however it doesn't drain that well,
so
how could I make it more free draining (which I've read Chamaecyparis
like
also)?

Thanks in advance,

---