Old 22-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Horse Chestnut

I hope I have the right newsgroup and also hope that maybe
someone can help
me. I live in the UK and am the dubious owner of a Horse

Chestnut (Aesculus
hippocastanum) Bonsai tree. I know that these are not ideal for

Bonsai but
nevertheless I planted a seed and grew my first Bonsai, it is

now 20" tall
and some 33 years old the last 15 years have seen leaves no

larger than 2.5"
to 3" across. I find the tree has grown into a very pleasing

shape and I am
very proud of it. Now to my problem it has never flowered, does

anybody know
how I can get it to flower? or is it now very unlikely.
Thanks in advance.
John Kelway

You have the right group, but I suspect few of us have any
experience with the horse chestnut. The only one I have seen
(pictures of) was in an article by Walter Pall in the November
1997 "Bonsai Magazine" (BCI). I think he also has discussed it
either here (Walter no longer graces the non-graphics mailing
list/newsgroup) or on our gallery at one time or another. Not
recently, though.

I just read through the article and he makes no mention of
blooming. They are early spring bloomers on current year's wood,
so I'd suggest low N fertilizer through late summer and fall.
Maybe that will help.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Jerry Meislik

John,
No experience here with the Aesculus, but it would be nice if you could post
a photo of it on our IBC galley so we can learn from what you have done so
far. Sounds like a very nice tree.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 28-08-2003, 05:22 AM
sam crowell

What is it about the Horse Chestnut and daughters? Mine was planted (Horse
Chestnut that is :-)) the day my daughter was born.

Not just daughters either. I collected a horse chestnut the weekend before
our first son, Kenneth was born. It was just barely sprouting when I found
it. If my son ever develops an interest in bonsai, I think it will be neat
for him to have a tree that matches his age.

Sam Crowell
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Old 28-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Kitsune Miko

At 08:50 PM 8/27/2003 -0700, sam crowell wrote:
What is it about the Horse Chestnut and daughters? Mine was planted (Horse
Chestnut that is :-)) the day my daughter was born.

Not just daughters either. I collected a horse chestnut the weekend before
our first son, Kenneth was born. It was just barely sprouting when I found
it. If my son ever develops an interest in bonsai, I think it will be neat
for him to have a tree that matches his age.

My story is an oak (quercus lobata) that I planted from an acorn when my
son was born. I was trying to do bonsai by braille. I lost quite a few
seedlings and finally his father took one from me and plated it in the
yard. It is now about 20" in diameter and 15' to 20' tall.

Kitsune Miko

Old 02-09-2003, 12:02 AM
jpcosta

At my family house we have about 5 very big and old common chestnuts,
last year i collected about 20 chestnuts seedlings but i'm not father yet :P

Kitsune Miko wrote:
[...]

horse chestnut(conker tree) Simon United Kingdom 5 04-10-2009 08:08 PM
horse chestnut trees problem Smokeyone Gardening 4 28-10-2004 11:52 AM
growing fir cones and horse chestnut? Bry United Kingdom 19 09-10-2003 04:23 PM
Horse Chestnut John Kelway Bonsai 2 27-08-2003 07:42 PM
Horse Chestnut Seedlings StormCrow United Kingdom 6 13-05-2003 04:32 PM