Old 30-08-2003, 08:43 AM
adam roler

Default [IBC] need new trees

hello all.
i live in indianapolis, indiana, U.S. the situation here
for getting a variety of species just sucks. so i am
forced to do the mail order thing. i have heard mixed
reviews about this so i am reluctant to do this. since i
really have no other choice, i would ask all of you where
can i get good pre bonsai stuff? i am looking for stuff
that has not been trained or has been trained very little.
i like to start from scratch. along with the previous
question, i do not make a lot of money so keep price in
mind with your suggestions. i am looking for any type of
tree really but i'm interested in bald cypress, larch,
sequoia, jasmine orange, to name a few. thanks for your time.

=====
"...we have (still) a great need for a Savior, and a great Savior for our need." -Derek Webb

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Craig Cowing

adam roler wrote:

hello all.
i live in indianapolis, indiana, U.S. the situation here
for getting a variety of species just sucks. so i am
forced to do the mail order thing. i have heard mixed
reviews about this so i am reluctant to do this. since i
really have no other choice, i would ask all of you where
can i get good pre bonsai stuff? i am looking for stuff
that has not been trained or has been trained very little.
i like to start from scratch.

snip

The species you mention won't be growing in your area, but I'd suggest finding someone with some
experience and go collecting. You'll find material with good trunk girth, root development, and
the cost is only whatever you spend on the beer you drink afterwards. Can't beat that.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

Old 30-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Jim Lewis

hello all.
i live in indianapolis, indiana, U.S. the situation here
for getting a variety of species just sucks. so i am
forced to do the mail order thing. i have heard mixed
reviews about this so i am reluctant to do this. since i
really have no other choice, i would ask all of you where
can i get good pre bonsai stuff? i am looking for stuff
that has not been trained or has been trained very little.
i like to start from scratch. along with the previous
question, i do not make a lot of money so keep price in
mind with your suggestions. i am looking for any type of
tree really but i'm interested in bald cypress, larch,
sequoia, jasmine orange, to name a few. thanks for your time.

Visit our sponsors (see our website - address below).

That said, Indianapolis is a large(ish) city and I find it hard
to believe that there isn't ONE good nursery, if not several
(including one specializing in native plants) in the greater
metropolitan areas. Here in our little 275,000 pop. COUNTY we
have at least 5 excellent nurseries and probably a dozen others
that can have nice stuff occasionally. This does NOT count
super-center plant departments (Lowes, Home Depot and others of
that ilk), which also -- occasionally -- have worthwhile stuff.

Mail order trees will be quite a bit smaller (trunk girth, etc.)
than the same-age tree sold locally. They will be more expensive
(considering shipping costs) and they most likely will NOT be
acclimatized for your area of the world (tho you're better off
that way than I am since you're in the same general zones as most
decent mail-order nurseries). They also are subject to the
vicissitudes of shipping -- meaning they may not arrive in the
best of condition.

Old 30-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Steve Wolfinger

I have had good luck with new england bonsai gardens. I have ordered quite
a few pre-bonsai stuff from them. and all have always arrived quickly and
in good shape. They have a great staff and will work with you over the
phone to find what you are looking for and in what price range. they have a
toll free number and a free catalogue. Give them a call 800-845-0456 or
visit their website at nebonsai.com

Old 30-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Bart Thomas

Adam.

Go to the American Bonsai Society Website.

Their club directory page is at:

http://www.absbonsai.org/clubs.html

There are 4 clubs in Indiana, including one in Indianapolis. There are eMail
addresses for you to contact the clubs, which you could send your question
to.

BTW, I agree with the recommendation of New England Bonsai. They are good
people.
.com...

****

Old 30-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Kitsune Miko

You have chosen some difficult trees to grow in your area. I'm sure that
there are good nurseries out your way if you can be content with what grows
in your area. I know trees do grow ithere as I am from Illinois. Start
with local stock, then branch out. Find a local bonsai club and they
should be able to tell you the ins and outs of sources in the area.

Kitsune Miko

Old 30-08-2003, 06:22 PM
adam roler

it's not that i can't get good trees here it's just that
all the places sell the same old stuff. i can never find
anything different. i have been to many nurseries here and
spoken with my local bonsai club and talked to some
landscaping buddies of mine and all so far have recommended
that i go through the net to buy what i'm looking for
because that is what they have to do.

=====

Old 30-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Bart Thomas

Sometimes, as I have learned the hard way, is that the reason that all the
local nurseries sell the same stuff is that's the stuff that does well in
your area.

If I were you, I'd at least ask them and your fellow club members about the
species you are seeking. Then go ahead and order either from them or by
mail.

Regards,

Bart
it's not that i can't get good trees here it's just that
all the places sell the same old stuff. i can never find
anything different. i have been to many nurseries here and
spoken with my local bonsai club and talked to some
landscaping buddies of mine and all so far have recommended
that i go through the net to buy what i'm looking for
because that is what they have to do.

=====
"...we have (still) a great need for a Savior, and a great Savior for our

need." -Derek Webb

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Jim Lewis

it's not that i can't get good trees here it's just that
all the places sell the same old stuff.

Which is?

i can never find anything different.

"Different" doesn't make better bonsai. Just "different" ones.

Go with what grows in your area. look at native trees and
shrubs. (Growing with natives is, in fact, "different." You may
not find Japanese maples (for instance) that will do well where
you live. Growing what the japanese grow isn't always the
answer. After all, THEY do bonsai with "native trees" -- THEIR
natives. It makes little sense (to me, at least) to force trees
that are NOT adjusted to your area to grow there.