Old 04-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Banyan style Ficus

I have a couple of Ficus trees that I'd really like to develop into banyan
style (with air roots), but for the life of me I can't seem to get any
started. I've read that you can get them by 1) Keeping humidity high, 2)
Keeping light low, 3) Combination of 1 & 2, 4) Feeding with Super Thrive.
Now that summer is almost over here, I'm looking to set up my grow room and
I'd like to optimize at least one area for the Ficus trees. I realize I'd
do much better by moving to a tropical area and growing them, but let's
pretend that's not a option. What can I do with a combination of outside in
a very short summer and inside during the rest of the year? Any help here
would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-09-2003, 12:00 AM
Jerry Meislik

Jeff,
One the trees need to be old enough to form aerials. Two, I would suggest
setting up a plastic enclosed area to keep the humidity high. Open the tent
every few days to keep fungal problems down, but seal it back in an hour or
two. Or three, pack moistened sphagnum moss around the trunks and branches
that you would like to sprout some aerials. Wrap this in plastic and keep it
moist at all times.
One of these two should work for you.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 05-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Michael Pollock

Jeff Isom wrote:

Subject: Banyan style Ficus

I have a couple of Ficus trees that I'd really like to develop into
banyan style (with air roots), but for the life of me I can't seem to
get any started. I've read that you can get them by 1) Keeping
humidity high, 2) Keeping light low, 3) Combination of 1 & 2, 4)
Feeding with Super Thrive. Now that summer is almost over here, I'm
looking to set up my grow room and I'd like to optimize at least one
area for the Ficus trees. I realize I'd do much better by moving to a
tropical area and growing them, but let's pretend that's not a option.
What can I do with a combination of outside in a very short summer and
inside during the rest of the year? Any help here would be greatly
appreciated!

If the variety of ficus is predisposed to growing aerial roots, I've
found it's strictly humidity that controls their production. My
Benjamina bonsai threw out lots during our recent three week period of
high humidity. Of course, the humidity dropped back down juuussst before
any of them reached the soil and established themselves. Jerry's advice
about the plastic tent is definitely the way to go. Just watch for
scale (I'd just kill them after the roots are established rather than
risk the roots by dropping the humidity or spraying in the tent).

Mike Pollock
Westchester County, NY, Zone 6 "ish"
Webmaster for
www.yamakibonsai.org

Old 06-09-2003, 05:02 PM
randi sharp

Jerry,
In your suggestions on developing aerial roots for ficus you mentioned:" ...pack moistened sphagnum moss around the trunks and branches that you would like to sprout some aerials. Wrap this in plastic and keep it moist at all times."

What would be a good source of plastic? Cut apart zip-lock freezer bags? Or is a small mil plastic better? Would plastic kitchen wrap be OK? Is there a better source? Also I imagine I need to wrap each branch and truck separately rather than in mass.Is thi
s correct? should I wrap the trunk and each branch separately? Should the moss be "live" spag. moss? Since I am in zone 7 is this a summer project or will I also get results in the house under lights?

Thanks,

Randi Sharp
Richmond, VA

Old 06-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Jerry Meislik

Randi,
Any plastic bag will work. I have not used kitchen wrap but a cleaners bag
or any baggie would work.
I wrap everything that you would like to have an aerial in sphagnum. It does
not matter if you do it separately or not. Live or dried sphagnum is OK.
Do not put this in the sun. Use dappled shade or in the house under lights.
In 60 days or so you should see roots through the plastic. Keeping
temperatures in the 60-90¹s will be best.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
[...]

Banyan Fig burnt foliage Urgent ! Mark Mantis Bonsai 1 06-12-2004 07:54 PM
[IBC] Newbie - banyan Alan Walker Bonsai 9 10-06-2004 09:08 PM
Newbie - banyan Ben Bonsai 3 05-06-2004 05:10 PM
[IBC] Banyan trees Carl Rosner Bonsai 1 30-05-2004 05:04 PM
Banyan fig (Ficus microcarpa retusa) David Stern Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 09:01 AM