GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Wintering bourganvillea and barbados cherry (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/42407-%5Bibc%5D-wintering-bourganvillea-barbados-cherry.html)

Ben Griffin 07-09-2003 06:22 PM

[IBC] Wintering bourganvillea and barbados cherry

So were starting to get into fall here in NYC. Our
night time temps are starting to fall into the upper
50's. I have read bourganvillea shouldn't go below 50
degrees. But ive also read that keeping it just above
50 for a week or two can cause it to drop all its
leaves and induce major flowering. I was wondering
just how long can it go before damage is done. And
the same for barbados cherry. If anyone has
experience with tropical wintering of these 2 trees
let me know.

Thanks
Ben Griffin

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

David J. Bockman 07-09-2003 06:42 PM

[IBC] Wintering bourganvillea and barbados cherry

I've seen them withstand 40F. They don't LIKE it, but they can take it.
Certainly 45-50 won't frost damage them, but it's the lower level of their
tolerance.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

So were starting to get into fall here in NYC. Our
night time temps are starting to fall into the upper
50's. I have read bourganvillea shouldn't go below 50
degrees. But ive also read that keeping it just above
50 for a week or two can cause it to drop all its
leaves and induce major flowering. I was wondering
just how long can it go before damage is done. And
the same for barbados cherry. If anyone has
experience with tropical wintering of these 2 trees
let me know.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++