Old 10-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Ben Griffin

Default [IBC] Trident maple cracked/broken branches

Hi everyone yesterday i was putting on the roof to my
greenhouse. One of the pieces slipped off and tumbled
onto a older trident maple. Were just getting into
fall here now. It broke off 2 main branches
completely. I fitted them back on as best i could.
Wired them into their previous position to secure the
joint. Then put cut paste over the broken area. I
also reduced the leaves slightly on each branch. Does
anyone have any other suggestions to "possibly save
these 2 branches or is it hopeless.

Ben

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Does
anyone have any other suggestions to "possibly save
these 2 branches or is it hopeless.

If the branches broke completely off, there's really no hope. I
suppose, you MIGHT treat them EXACTLY as you would a graft (which
means you'd have to detach them again, cut the ends correctly,
cut the scion, etc., then seal it, then bind it with grafting
tape, etc.) but at this time of year, I don't see any hope for
that either.

So, start thinking of a redesign. I've had something like that
happen more than once.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Ben Griffin

That was my other idea. Take off the broken branches
and trim the tree back hard. Which would give me a
new flush of growth and hopefully some new buds near
the wounds i can train into replacement branches. At
the rate trident gorws i should be able to have
branches as nice or nicer then the ones that were
there in 2 years. Only possible problem is winter
dieback.

Old 10-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Slightly off subject, but a couple of questions regarding Trident Maples...

How winter hardy are they when planted in the ground? Any special
protection needed?

I have seen some incredible Trident Maples with 6" - 8" trunks that were
only 2' tall and almost perfect taper. Very few visible pruning scars. How
is this achieved? The two I planted in the ground grew at an incredible
rate, so I can see how the caliper is achieved. But the taper? If they are
cut back severly to keep them compact, how do you get the trunks to grow so
big? I've read Brent's article on the subject, but always assumed I'd be
hiding some pretty good sized scarring and still have some abrupt changes in
size to achieve the taper. These maples were nearly perfect in the
uniformity of their taper.

Thanks,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Old 10-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Kitsune Miko

The scars heal nicely.

Kitsune Miko
--- "Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL)"
wrote:
[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale
Cochoy++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 10-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Carl L Rosner

If it was my tree Ben, I would leave them off and start over.... Even
if the branches took, they will never be as strong as new branches...
at least in my humble opinion.

Carl L. Rosner

Old 13-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Theo

HI Ben
were the branches completely cut way or just severely broken but
with still some parts of the bark joined?
I had this problem with a sort of lacquer tree in the court but
potted ,and I put small wooden sticks like a brace around the
breaking point and cicatrizing paste and wired the branch 3 years
later was fine and alive.. but you you can see the scar .. I use big
bamboos sections splitted into quarters lenghtwise because are
concave and can adapt better to keep the two parts together.
In case that these branches on the trident are hopelessly gone you
can try to do some grafting or thread grafting from some closer
branches , trident push very long sprouts and you could have another
young branch ready for grafting easily at hand in few weeks the very
same year but wait 2 years before cutting back the new branch to be
sured teh cambium is fusioned properly
Best regards
Theo