Old 15-09-2003, 02:12 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] South African Ficus book

I have the following from the Fat Plants list. This is all I know.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Greetings,
* * * ** I have been in contact with a gentleman from South Africa that
self-publishes books on South African trees.* The contact was made via an
e-mail received by another member - Rick Beyer.
* * * ** I wrote to the gentleman and offered to post something on Fat
Plants regarding his books.* I am posting his reply.* I am quite sure that
his mailing address is:
* * * ** Marthinus H.Steyn
* * * ** 10 Coniston Close
* * * ** Bendor Place
* * * ** Pietersburg 0699
* * * ** South Africa
* * * * * * * ** ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello Jerry
Thanks for your offer to advertise my book in Fat Plants. I am not sure
whether you want me to send you a ready-made description to include in Fat
Plants as such or a description which you can work from. I shall do my best
by giving the information which I think you can use. Let me try to send you
a copy of a typical page as per attachment.
In all three books the approach is to have color photographs accompanied by
the text applicable to each photograph. The photographs show life-size
pictures where possible of the different features of the plant which
will aid identification e.g. tree form, bark structure, both sides of the
leaf, fruit and/or the seed, distribution charts, flowering time.
The books on Ficus and the one on Combretums and Terminalia are of A4
format and are applicable to South Africa. They are bilingual including
Afrikaans. The book on Commiphora is of A5 format.
Kind regards
Marthinus
SA FICUS IDENTIFICATION GUIDE FOR WILD FIGS IN S.A.
Author: Marthinus Steyn. First published in 1996. ISBN 0-620-19905-9.
Includes all known 24 species in South Africa plus a few common exotic
ones(8).
32 pages plus cover, full color, A4 format. Photograph of the tree to show
the shape, bark structure, lifesize photographs of the leaves and fruit.
Distribution map. Bilingual including Afrikaans. Price: U.S.$8 plus $5
airmail postage in U.S $ or S.A. Rands.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++