Old 15-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] "yamadori" boxwood

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
news:001101c37b97$e5b18380$72112cc7@pavilion...

Of course, then there's Humpty Dumpty . . . "When _I_ use a

word,
it means just what I choose it to mean --neither more nor

less."

But... When _I_ say "yamadori", do _you_ know what I mean? ;-)

I know what most people _probably_ DON'T mean, and that is
literally "collected in the mountains."

The REAL question here, of course, is why are we English-,
French-, German-, Swahili-speaking growers of artistic small
trees in pots bothering to use the term "yamadori" when
"collected" does as well (or better) and in most cases is much
more accurate.

The same goes for "nebari" and "shohin" and a whole host of other
look-what-I-know terms. There are legitimate and very clear
English (or other) equivalents.

And now, answering myself, I note that it is that for most of
those terms, the Japanese term is the same to all
speakers-of-other-languages . . . so I'll have to go back to my
first premise that (only?) "yamadori" is probably a useless term.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who thinks
that some of us are trying to out Japanese the Japanese.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Kitsune Miko

The REAL question here, of course, is why are we
English-,
French-, German-, Swahili-speaking growers of
artistic small
trees in pots bothering to use the term "yamadori"
when
"collected" does as well (or better) and in most
cases is much
more accurate.

For two reaons, the main one is that it sells better.
The second is for the same reason they say "enpointe"
instead of stand on your toes, or eppe for sharp
pointy stick with a handle, or chow mein instead of
noodles, and the main reason sticks in pot with glued
on rocks are called authentic bonsai.

The same goes for "nebari" and "shohin" and a whole
host of other
look-what-I-know terms. There are legitimate and
very clear
English (or other) equivalents.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -
Who thinks
that some of us are trying to out Japanese the
Japanese.

A typical American tradition to be better at what ever
than the originators.

Kitsune Miko,
who wants to know why we use a Greek legend to decribe
a verson of a Japanese art form called Pheonix Bonsai.
Why don't we call it big dead stick with small live
stick? Then if we become politically correct we
couild call them restricted growth challenged trees.