Old 15-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] hurricane preparation (was "yamadori" boxwood)

Craig: When hurricanes visit you have two big problems: wind and rain. Rain should
not be too much problem if you use a quick draining bonsai soil. Wind, however, will
wreak havoc if you haven't made adequate or appropriate preparations.
Indoor storage is almost always a good idea with hurricanes. Under your
benches is almost always a bad idea. High winds will toss around anything which is
not anchored. Even a well anchored item may be damaged by other things being turned
into missiles, e.g.. branches, neighbors' lawn furniture, loose boards, shingles, etc.

Forewarned is forearmed! ;-)
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
EDMUND L CASTILLO wrote:
snip Ed Castillo (wondering how hard this week's hurricane will hit the East Coast)

====
Craig Cowing wrote:
Yep. Waiting it out here too. Last thing I heard was that it will hit the NJ
coast first tomorrow. I already have plans to bring trees inside and stash some under
their benches if it looks like it will get nasty. Just have to wait and see.
Craig Cowing NY zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Craig Cowing

Alan Walker wrote:

Craig: When hurricanes visit you have two big problems: wind and rain. Rain should
not be too much problem if you use a quick draining bonsai soil. Wind, however, will
wreak havoc if you haven't made adequate or appropriate preparations.
Indoor storage is almost always a good idea with hurricanes. Under your
benches is almost always a bad idea. High winds will toss around anything which is
not anchored. Even a well anchored item may be damaged by other things being turned
into missiles, e.g.. branches, neighbors' lawn furniture, loose boards, shingles, etc.

Forewarned is forearmed! ;-)
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com

Thanks for the warning Alan. I don't know yet what we're going to have for wind, so I'll
just have to wait and see. Some of my trees are simply too large to bring inside, so
they will have to weather the storm outside. My smaller ones could come inside if
necessary. I could also put them in my winter storage area which is somewhat sheltered
if it looks really bad.

Old 15-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Alan Walker

Hurricane mitigation is a lot like buying insurance. You hope it was a waste of money and
effort, but you're really glad you did it when you need it.

Old 15-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Jim Lewis

Craig Cowing wrote:
Yep. Waiting it out here too. Last thing I heard was that it

will hit the NJ
coast first tomorrow. I already have plans to bring trees

inside and stash some under
their benches if it looks like it will get nasty. Just have to

wait and see.
Craig Cowing NY zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Not tomorrow. Isabel should hit land Thursday night at about
Cape Hattaras, N.C. It should be in southern PA by Friday
evening and in the far northwestern tip of NY the next night and
at my guess little more than a lot of rain by then.

According to the Weather Bureau, Isabel is no where near as
defined today and may break down a bit more. It MAY still be a
major (Class 4) hurricane when it hits the NC coast, but . . .
Once over land, it will collapse rapidly.

So Craig hasn't too much to fret about.

For the best info on the storm, go he
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++