Old 21-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Pat Patterson

Default Japanese terms in bonsai (was: "yamadori")

G'day all...

"Words, words, mere words, no matter from the heart." Shakespeare - Troilus
and Cressida

My appoligies for wading in on this so late, but, two things...

First...I always thought that the definition of a word changed over time,
depending on it's usage...over time. So, evolution, change? Normal occurance,
over time.

With bonsai, we are dealing with change every day. Why not accept a change in
definition of a word...over time?

And, I think already stated...in different words..."mountain yamadori" and
"landscape yamadori" are both "collected", and, if yamadori, through usage,
comes to mean "collected", does it really matter?

Second, most of us like to use at least some of the traditional japanese words,
so, if we do use them during club functions, and we do, why don't we provide
every new member a printed glossary of Japanese words with descriptions. And,
in addition, define the Japanese word when we use it during a presentation or
discussion...if the audience so dictates.

Hmmm...I like the idea of a glossary handout...I think I'll initiate that at
our club.

Now, I think I'll go out and enjoy my "collected Pinyon Pine from Arizona's
White Mountains", and see if I enjoy it any more if I think of it as my
"yamadori Pinyon
Pine from Arizona's White Mountains"...I think not.

But, I couldn't state it any better than it is stated in a grand old song...to
each his own...

Have a good day/week.

Pat

Have a good
Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'