GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Bonsai in Russia: 15th Century (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/44522-%5Bibc%5D-bonsai-russia-15th-century.html)

Ed Spaans 02-10-2003 01:03 AM

[IBC] Bonsai in Russia: 15th Century

Hi All:

While at the Tretyakov Museum in Moscow looking at old icons, I spotted "The
Transfiguration" by Theophanus the Greek and his Studio (rather unusual name
for a painter and I suppose that the painting could only be identified as
having been done by someone from his school.) The painting shows two very stylized
bonsai, very green and small plants and two very small pots; each plant plus
pot being barely 2*4 inches on an icon 3*5 ft.

Ed. Spaans
Grand Rapids, MI. Freeze warning up tonight!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Paulo Artur 02-10-2003 02:46 AM

[IBC] Bonsai in Russia: 15th Century

The painting shows two very stylized
bonsai, very green and small plants and two very small pots; each

plant plus
pot being barely 2*4 inches on an icon 3*5 ft.

Here they a

http://www.abcgallery.com/I/icons/greek5.html

Best regards,

Paulo A.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Nina Shishkoff 02-10-2003 02:12 PM

[IBC] Bonsai in Russia: 15th Century

Hee. Nice try. Those are trees growing out of crevices in the rock.

Nina, named after the Georgian Saint

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Pat Patterson 04-10-2003 07:08 AM

[IBC] Bonsai in Russia: 15th Century

G'day all...

Nina...

You said "...Those are trees growing out of crevices in the rock..."

Interesting thought, but...

I know the pic on my tube isn't the same as seeing it in person. However, if
those trees are not potted, then, to me it looks like trees growing out rips in
an animal's hide.

Would an artist in 15th Century Russia paint trees growing out of an animal's
hide?
Modern art of 15th Century Russia?

Have a good day.

Pat...who never formally studied fine arts...

Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'

Pat Patterson 05-10-2003 06:22 AM

[IBC] Bonsai in Russia: 15th Century

G'day all...

"...What I remember was that the two plants were actually in free fall. They
were not inside in any crevices or animal hides. Many items in the icon seemed
the be in a stream/flow from top of the icon to the bottom. The plants seemed
to be somewhat separated from the pots. The color of the plants was a very
strong green and the pots were a much more muted brown. Too bad that taking of
pictures generally is forbidden in museums, so I can't provide any further
detail.
Ed. Spaans..."

Have a good day...

Pat