Old 04-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Bonsai newbie

jonathandw wrote:

Hi
I'm relatively new to the art of bonsai - have had several failures
with Serissas and have now decided to try the outdoor variety in the
hope that they are a bit more resilient.
Have recently purchased a young Dawn redwood (stands about foot and a
half) which I've repotted into a slightly larger pot purely to
encourage some more growth but what I'd like to know is is there
anything I should watch for in particular? Also I'm considering taking
a hardwood cutting from a Japanese mapel that grows outside my lab -
any advice, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated with this species.
Many thanks in advance

Jonathan
--
jonathandw

Others may have different advice, but I started out with junipers for "outdoor"
trees and haven't regretted it a bit.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Carl L Rosner

Hi Jonathan:
Here's the other side of the coin from Craig's view.. I love taking
care of trees year 'round, and living in Zone 6/7 I have tropical and
sub tropical trees in a green house. Of course, they need special care
as well as special lighting, a humidifier, heaters and an oscillating fan.

If you did mention where you live, I did not recieve the original post
stating the zone or city you live in. If you want to raise out door
trees, find a local club and see what the locals are raising. I, also,
suggest that before you invest in a lot of trees, that you beg borrow
all the Bonsai books, from your local library and members of a local
club and read, then study and read some more.

Visit the IBC Gallery often, it will give you visual images, which are
valuable impressions that will imprint on your brain the different
styles and the many varieties of trees that are being used for Bonsai.

Of course , stay with the IBC's daily postings and join the American
Bonsai Society for their Internet postings.

Ask questions and learn. Good luck, and welcome to the Bonsai addiction!

Carl L. Rosner

Old 08-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Anchovy

Default Bonsai newbie

Hi John.
I too am a newbie to the world of Bonsai. My girlfriend recently
bought me a Serissa. I notice in your posts that you had a couple of
failures with Serissa's. Can you give me any advice concerning your
experience with the Serissa?
Sorry I couldn't help with your problem.
Thanks
Old 19-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Registered User

Location: Somerset

Quote:
Originally posted by Anchovy
Hi John.
I too am a newbie to the world of Bonsai. My girlfriend recently
bought me a Serissa. I notice in your posts that you had a couple of
failures with Serissa's. Can you give me any advice concerning your
experience with the Serissa?
Sorry I couldn't help with your problem.
Thanks
Hi
The only advice I have is what my local bonsai garden centre provided which was that they can be tempermental to grow and a bit finicky. Not very useul i know! I did read somewhere that they like their soil kept moist but not waterlogged - whatever you do though don't let it dry out they really don't like it.
My advice is pick the brains of people here, try your local bonsai garden centre (if you've got one) and try soem of the sites that other folk have mentioned.
Good luck
Jonathan
Old 18-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Tekmanx

Oh? Did you see the entire post? Is 90=B0 ok for the little germinating
plants and cuttings. I was just scared that it might have burnt them
out. I guess I'll just shade it a little. By the way, the legging thing
a good or bad thing? Don't scare me with statements like that without
explanation!!! hehe

Tekmanx
-Zone 25 (Florida/Bahamas)

Old 18-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Tekmanx

Oh.... I'll be sure bring the light to the plant then. Thanks so much.

Tekmanx