GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Steroids for Chojubai (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/44775-re-%5Bibc%5D-steroids-chojubai.html)

[email protected] 05-10-2003 04:23 AM

[IBC] Steroids for Chojubai

I have had 'Chojubai' dwarf flowering quince, (both red and white
cultivars) growing in the ground for over 25 years, perhaps even 30
years. I have never had any die back, and they have even been covered
with five feet of snow, easily.

You're in Zone 6, I'm in Zone 5. Even with plenty of snow, that's an average
difference of 20 degrees in minimum temperature. While standard Chaenomeles
japonica is hardy here, I have never run across any official mention that
'Chojubai' is equally hardy. Do you have an extra specimen I can test with?
Iris

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++