GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Norfolk Island Pine help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/44915-norfolk-island-pine-help.html)

Shireen Gonzaga 06-10-2003 07:02 PM

Norfolk Island Pine help

Hi ... I bought a small Norfolk Island pine (Araucaria
heterophylla), about 11 inches high. It's not really a
pine, it's a primitive conifer.

The main branches are lanky and don't have a lot of
small branching. I'm not sure where to start.
- What will happen if I cut back the branches? Will
they grow 2 buds to spread out in a Y-shape?
- Are there any tips on thickening the trunk?
The re-growth characteristics will help me decide whether
to do an informal upright or a cascade.

I'll be growing it indoors under fluorescent lighting.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
shireen

--
Shireen Gonzaga, Data Analyst, Space Telescope Science Inst. O-
3700 San Martin Dr., Baltimore, MD 21212, USA. _/ )