GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Norfolk Island Pine help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/44951-re-%5Bibc%5D-norfolk-island-pine-help.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 07-10-2003 02:07 AM

[IBC] Norfolk Island Pine help

In a message dated 10/6/2003 2:12:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I bought a small Norfolk Island pine (Araucaria
heterophylla), about 11 inches high. It's not really a
pine, it's a primitive conifer.

In my opinion NIP are difficult Bonsai. The branches grow in whorls
around the trunk all from the same location. I can't recall the word but the
top will always be a top and side branches will always be side branches.
Pruning results in a new leaf from the location of the cut, but it wants to become
a new branch. It is not cold hardy.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --