Old 20-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Larch air layering question

Neil:
I have no idea about air-layering the Larch, but if it was my tree, I
certainly would give it a shot, but, (since you didn't mention where you
live) I wouldn't attempt it until you have a long growing season ahead
of you. Trying the air layer if you are in the Northern hemisphere,
where we are heading into winter, I feel, would be looking for trouble.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

neil wrote:

Hi all,

I recently picked up a very impressive looking larch at a local nursery but
it has a very bloated,bulbus graft.The joint iteslf is a good clean one with
no obvious edges but as far as training it as a bonsai is concerned the
bloated element of it ruins the flow of the trunk.

And so to the question,what's the story with air layering larch ?I mean is
it a easy or difficult tree to layer ?

The trunk itself is a good 21/2 to 3 " thick if that's relavent to it's
success.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Neil

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++