Old 20-10-2003, 04:05 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Transition for semi-tropicals

All of my tropicals are inside and under lights - I'm still having a bear of
a time getting the humidity as high as I'd like! Anyway, my semi-tropicals
are on my unheated sunporch and seeing 40's at night. My Kingsvilles are
still outside. When temps start dropping too low at night and I need to
bring all of the semi-tropicals inside...how do I transition them or is that
necessary? They'll be going from daytime 50's/60's and nightime 30's/40's
to daytime high 70's and nightime 60's. The sudden change won't kill them,
will it?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Carl L Rosner

Jeff:
I, also, have all my tropic and sub tropicals indoors. I purchased a
new humidifier this year, and find that my humidity stays around 55 to
60% when the temperatures are 70 to 80, but when the temperatures rise
to close to 95 I notice the Humidity drops to 45 to 50.

The only thing I did to prepare my trees for the indoors was give them a
good heavy spray with water to eliminate the pest population... My
indoor temperatures have been around 70 to 80 all night and I have to
turn my two heaters off during the day when the sun is on the Green
house, otherwise I am looking at 110 degrees with a 45 percent
humidity.... :-(

Only one Bougainvillea (I have five other Bougainvilleas that didn't
miss a beat) out of the the thirty six trees decided to pout and drop
its leaves, but in less than a week there is new growth all over the tree.

I would just say be very observant of your trees when you do bring them
in..... you may want to supplement the indoors with a little more
heat.... Of course, this is just a matter of my opinion.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Old 20-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Iris Cohen

They'll be going from daytime 50's/60's and nightime 30's/40's
to daytime high 70's and nightime 60's. The sudden change won't kill them,
will it? BRBR

No, they don't care, as long as they have enough light & humidity.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

epigeal dicot seedling anatomy radical-hypocotyl transition zone gigi1234 Plant Science 0 07-01-2008 07:23 PM
Transition town Sacha United Kingdom 0 17-02-2007 12:55 PM
[IBC] HELP? -- Tropicals: Time of year to make first Trunk c ut? Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 1 01-03-2004 03:28 PM
[IBC] Tropicals and Subtropicals [email protected] Bonsai 0 23-10-2003 02:43 PM
[IBC] Indoor area for tropicals Ben Griffin Bonsai 3 29-01-2003 10:51 PM