Old 27-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Morten Albek

Default [IBC] do plants use vitamins? (Yes they certainly do)

Yes, plants do have a need for vitamins.
It is a small contribution to the overall health of the tree, where
the major nutrients are the well-known NPK. But also microorganisms,
and vitamins are a part of the palette of foods for plants. As well as
the Mykhorriza fungi has influenze of the health of Pines and maybe
other species.

Vitamins can be added very simple, and the only vitamin of importance,
is the B-vitamin.
It is easily taken by the leaves and can be sprinkled on. Take a low
alcoholic beer, and blend it with water 1:1. It is as simple as that.
There are plenty of B-vitamins in a beer, and this is a good old trick
used to add vitamins to orchids, wich are in need of these vitamins.
But it is also a very good solution for bonsais as well.
Remember to keep a beer for your self. Also humans needs B-vitamins!

And now to the Superthrive question. You will only find out the real
effect of this, by making your own experiences. I newer use it. The
beer does it for me. I use the 1:1 beer and water blend, every time I
spray leaves with water, for the first month after transplanting a
bonsai. And that is two or tree times a week fo a month or so.
In daily care, I use it frequently, in a milder blend.
Especially Pines are good at taking up nutrients true their leaves,
but it won´t harm any plants, but only do good.
Old 27-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

Sounds like a waste of beer, to me -- unless you use one of the
Light (or LITE) beers. ;-)

I have yet to find a definitive article that says that vitamins
play ANY role in plant nutrition. I've found a few that say,
"maybe," and "maybe IF." B-1 was touted heavily back in the
1930s, but then several controlled experiments failed to show any
usefulness for it, and horticultural "science" generally stopped
recommending it. The commercial hort industry -- never one to
let go of any magical elixir -- has continued to tout for B-1,
though, and since most growers of flowers and other decorative
plants actually believe advertising hype, people continue to buy
it.

If you have a good scientific reference as to the efficacy of
vitamins on plants, I would love to read it.

Andy Walsh did a piece for us several years ago debunking B1;
I've re-played it here at least once (we've had this debate
before), so if you search for "Vitamin" and/or "B1" in our
archives, you should find it.

And as for Stupidthrive . . .

Beer does kill snails, though, and the light mouthwash does just
fine for that.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Theo

Instead of Beer one could use Beer Yeast that was used to make bread
in ancient times
we find in dices at the supermatket and I am sure it contains B
vitamines some people add to Beer also
Theo

Old 27-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Theo

HI Beer yeast contains a lot
Vitamines

Vitamin B1 Carbohydrate metabolism 3.2 mg

Vitamin B2 Growth vitamin 0.9 mg

Vitamin B6 Regulator of tissue and 0.6 mg
protein metabolism

Nicotinamide Pellagra protection 9.0 mg

Pantothemic acid Anti-grey hair factor 1 1.7 mg

and ..... the beer yeast cure against cancer ..
http://www.karlloren.com/biopsy/book/p6.htm

Old 27-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Nina Shishkoff

There are plenty of B-vitamins in a beer, and this is a good old trick
used to add vitamins to orchids, wich are in need of these vitamins.
But it is also a very good solution for bonsais as well.
Remember to keep a beer for your self. Also humans needs B-vitamins!

I don't think beer would be absorbed very well by the foliage. Orchids have a special root tissue called vellamen that might soak beer up better, although frankly I'd rather just use a full-spectrum fertilizer and be done with it. Still, the IBC traditio
nally has a great respect for beer, so you will fit in well here. I'll think of you next time I have one!

Nina, who has sore muscles from putting her bonsai in their winter bed this weekend.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++