Old 30-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Admin: THE FUTURE OF THE LIST

Hi Jim.

Thanks for your great work. Members will surely agree in wanting to
celebrate your contributions.

Are others, like me, stunned & laying low (excepting Nina) in hope that a
savior will redeem the list or that you will further sacrifice yourself? No
more is expected from you, but few will step up to the plate. Little is
"expected" from others, either. I've taken IBC for granted as an
entitlement, but it is not.
Hopefully, you are getting private requests for further information.

It seems incredible that the list could end, suddenly... with little more
than a wimper. Then, we'd be left with rec.arts.bonsai for messages and
hopefully the IBC website. Who manages rec.arts.bonsai? Is there another
group site (ABS, Gardenweb or others) which would likely draw new members
from IBC?

At least rec.arts.bonsai carries a complete history of IBC posts &
continues to build on archives supported by the Google network.

Is anyone ready to write a eulogy?

Very best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Jim Lewis

It seems incredible that the list could end, suddenly... with

little more
than a wimper. Then, we'd be left with rec.arts.bonsai for

messages and
hopefully the IBC website. Who manages rec.arts.bonsai?

No one. It is an unmoderated newsgroup.

Is there another
group site (ABS, Gardenweb or others) which would likely draw

new members
from IBC?

ABS requires that you be a member. AFIK everyone on gardenweb is
also here. There probably are other web-based lists, but in MY
opinion web-based discussion lists are among the most clumsy
things invented (though I know little about them).

There's also the alt.bonsai newsgroup, but spam outweighs bonsai
messages there 20:1.

BTW, the web seems to be acting up again. I red Nina's and
flip's mssgs on the newsgroup, but neither has appeared on MY
screen as a mailing list message yet. Add 3 private mssgs, and
that's all the response so far.

Old 31-10-2003, 04:42 PM
marco favero

At 14.57 30/10/2003 -0500, Jim Lewis wrote:

BTW, the web seems to be acting up again. I red Nina's and
flip's mssgs on the newsgroup, but neither has appeared on MY
screen as a mailing list message yet. Add 3 private mssgs, and
that's all the response so far.

Jim ,

after your mailing list battle's report , I think no many people want
take this poisonous apple ;-) . I for one can help if it is possible and
needed,
but naturally no for your place ,I'm not still retired .
Let me know ,thanks .

marco favero - Turin - IT Zone 7-8

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Kitsune Miko

I have no web/list skills whatsoever, but I am willing
to do some beginner question things.

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Jim Lewis

I have no web/list skills whatsoever, but I am willing
to do some beginner question things.

Kitsune Miko

YAY! Maybe you and Dr. Nina can get something organized again!
??????

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - VEGETARIAN:
An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter." (Borrowed from a sig by
fellow listowner, Scott Peterson)

Old 03-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Kitsune Miko wrote:

I have no web/list skills whatsoever, but I am willing
to do some beginner question things.

Me too. I have an idea, why not have a few people taking care of
beginners from their part of the world. I could take Scandinavia, maybe
Northern Europe. Someone else could take Southern/central Europe,
another one Australia, North America, Africa, and so forth. This means
no beginner will get wierd advice from a person living on the other side
of the globe. Of course their will be a need for several in the US
scince most people on this list live there.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Kitsune Miko wrote:

I have no web/list skills whatsoever, but I am willing
to do some beginner question things.

Me too. I have an idea, why not have a few people taking care

of
beginners from their part of the world. I could take

Scandinavia, maybe
Northern Europe. Someone else could take Southern/central

Europe,
another one Australia, North America, Africa, and so forth.

This means
no beginner will get wierd advice from a person living on the

other side
of the globe. Of course their will be a need for several in the

US
scince most people on this list live there.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Sounds good to me. Henrik is hereby designated as newbie
hand-holder for Norway, Denmark, and Sweden and environs. ;-)

Thanks.

Old 04-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I hereby appoint you grand potentate . . . ;-)

Jim Lewis -

Now we need a Emperor of Australia!

My webpage queries form a sort of map of regions of the world where lots of beginners are beginning bonsai, in order:

1) California
2) The rest of the US
3) England
4) Australia

and practically nowhere else.

Of course, these countries have english-speaking populations, and other countries may have beginning bonsai growers who don't speak english or don't haunt the internet. Or don't have Wal-mart mallsai yet.

Nina, who gets too many queries about "lucky bamboo", thankyouverymuch.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Craig Cowing

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

I hereby appoint you grand potentate . . . ;-)

Jim Lewis -

Now we need a Emperor of Australia!

My webpage queries form a sort of map of regions of the world where lots of beginners are beginning bonsai, in order:

1) California
2) The rest of the US
3) England
4) Australia

and practically nowhere else.

Of course, these countries have english-speaking populations, and other countries may have beginning bonsai growers who don't speak english or don't haunt the internet. Or don't have Wal-mart mallsai yet.

Nina, who gets too many queries about "lucky bamboo", thankyouverymuch.

Actually, all joking aside, it might not be a bad idea to have people who are listed on the site as regional representatives. Maybe several for each area--we could even do it by state. When I was involved
in the Reed Organ Society, which is an international organization, I was Regional Councillor for the Northeast Region. My fiefdom covered all of New England, New York, NJ and PA. I occasionally fielded
questions (actually, a lot since I had a website on reed organs) and sometimes got queries from people in my general area. With bonsai, we all know that location is very important. And, from what I 've
learned over the last few years, someone living in the Pacific Northwest on the edge of Zone 5b/6a (as I do in NY) is still going to have very different conditions than I do. So, this isn't a bad idea at
all.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Kitsune Miko

I approve of this as long as I can remain Queen of the
Western Shore.

Kitsune Miko

--- Jim Lewis wrote:
Craig Cowing wrote:

Jim Lewis wrote:

Sounds good to me. Henrik is hereby

designated as newbie
hand-holder for Norway, Denmark, and Sweden

and environs.
;-)

Thanks.

Jim Lewis - -

Tallahassee, FL - The
phrase
'sustainable growth' is an oxymoron. - Stephen

Viederman

I think we ought to make him Grand Potentate of

not only
Norway, Denmark and
Sweden, but of all the Russias, Poland, and the

Baltic
States. ;0}

Well scince my girlfriend speaks russia and my

brothers
girlfriend is
from Latvia it would be no problem ;-)

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

I hereby appoint you grand potentate . . . ;-)

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL -
VEGETARIAN:
An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter." (Borrowed
from a sig by
fellow listowner, Scott Peterson)

++++Sponsored, in part, by Lisa
Kanis++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 04-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Pedro Amorim Pereira

Ok... if it goes that way...

I can take care of the begginers from
Portugal and
Brasil (has they also speak Portuguese),
if no one takes Spain, I can trie too (I speak a bit of it :-) ).
And if not enough I can try to persuade Paulo Artur to give me a help too...
;-)

Pedro Amorim Pereira _ Porto - Portugal

http://sapp.telepac.pt/bonsai-pt/
http://www.geocities.com/pedropereira.geo