Old 31-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] companion planting

Which Durer etching? I can practically hear Lynn ask it.

I misremembered; it's a water color:

www.spiritualite2000.com/ jardin/jardin9.htm

That's what I aim for in a companion planting.

Nina, who is munching candy corn and accomplishing nothing today.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Kitsune Miko

Companion plants can live a long time, but not as long
as trees. They need tending, cleaning, pruning to be
maintained in a pleasing fashion. It also depends on
the plants you use. Running grasses have to be
planted fresh to look good. Succulents maintain their
size and shape.

Before a show I go in and prune out all the dead stuff
in the accent plants. I like to refer to them as the
pigeons of the plant world, as they create their own
compost. I use a lot of rushes, which maintain size
(height) in a container, but grow as they choose. I
"coax" them by cutting out pieces I don't want, or by
having a specific number of stems. Once you let them
go, you have to start over.

Another method of conatinment is to have as small a
container as possible. I have a lot of luck ploping
things on lava rock. Found some at a buliding supply
with one face cut flat. I have had a varigated sedge
growing on a lava rock in a suibon, almost no soil for
about 5 years now. Still looks good, If I cut back
the dead stuff.

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++